GEN 2 CAM phasers but only one side?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Got a check engine light and was code P0018. Brought to the dealership to check out. It’s a 2020 built the first week of March 2020 with only 30k miles. I thought Ford used the newer cam phaser since November 2019, @FordTechOne ?
They replace the VCT Solenoid but the error came back so they said they need to replace the cam phaser now.
It’s all torn apart but they are only doing the side with the error, Bank 2. You can definitely see the difference between the new model on the drivers side vs. the old version. I am asking what it would cost out of pocket to do the other side while it’s apart even though it’s under warranty and I have an ESP. Good idea or just let them do the one side and probably take it all apart again down the road when the passenger side fails?

Attachments

• IMG_5969.jpeg
    IMG_5969.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5786.jpeg
    IMG_5786.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 61

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your truck was already built with the updated parts and calibration. The ones they replaced look different because the supplier changed; the internal design is the same.

The phaser issue had nothing to do with timing; it was only an objectionable cold start noise or hot idle knock.

It appears you had a VCT unit that was sticking/binding and causing the VCT desired to skew enough from VCT Actual to set a DTC. With both the VCT solenoid and phaser being replaced the issue should be resolved. There is no reason to replace the other bank.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out of pocket should be less than $500 at this point. Chains are off, so it is just a matter of unbolting old phaser and installing new phaser. Timing chains are on mega mega back order and have been for a while.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your truck was already built with the updated parts and calibration. The ones they replaced look different because the supplier changed; the internal design is the same.

The phaser issue had nothing to do with timing; it was only an objectionable cold start noise or hot idle knock.

It appears you had a VCT unit that was sticking/binding and causing the VCT desired to skew enough from VCT Actual to set a DTC. With both the VCT solenoid and phaser being replaced the issue should be resolved. There is no reason to replace the other bank.
All these acronyms with Ford....did the army help with this naming process ? I'm actually look at a 2018 Black Raptor, I may have some questions and appreciate you always helping everyone out like you do.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why on earth would they be literally staring at the other side and not replace it??!?!
They should at least offer the customer the option of paying out of pocket.

But to answer your question........

It is their training, I had the same training and honestly after leaving the dealer 12 years ago it has hurt me a few times and I am still learning daily.

The factory training and information is second to none as far as diagnostics go. If the technician can mentally understand the system they should be able to pinpoint the failed part, the manufacturer only wants to pay for failed parts and in a case like this is willing to take the chance that the other phasers will last to the end of warranty (when their responsibility ends)

This isn't a bad mind set for a technician as no one wants to just throw parts at a problem.

BUT it has its downsides especially in cases like this.

I have to constantly tell my technicians to evaluate the situation and vehicle, for complete repairs.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All these acronyms with Ford....did the army help with this naming process ? I'm actually look at a 2018 Black Raptor, I may have some questions and appreciate you always helping everyone out like you do.
worst is the ******* airforce, those flyboys speak a different language entirely in acronyms