Cam phasers part #/ and can I postpone it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a quote for cam phasers while my truck is in for something else; but I'm in a tight spot financially right now. They started rattling about a year ago; can I keep postponing this without fear of ruining something else? And if I decide to go ahead and get it done what is the latest part number I should be looking for?

cptnslo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got mine in the service department too, waiting on Ford Customer care to get back to me to see if they are going to help.

How loud is yours? This is my second time replacing mine and of course out of warranty now..... the labor prices they charge here in So Cal are stupid!

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Ford doesn't consider the failure to be detrimental to the durability of the engine. A locking pin shears off inside the phaser unit so when there is no oil pressure like when first starting the engine, the phaser bounces around and rattles until oil pressure is built up.

When I say not detrimental to the durability of the engine, I mean in the short term like when we are waiting on parts for that particular job and Ford doesn't want to pay a rental bill while waiting on parts. However, I don't see enough of these with extended phaser rattle (like a year or more) to tell you if you will experience other issues. The only thing I can really see happening is eventual damage of the phaser from being slammed around every time you start the truck, possibly leading to failure of other timing components and at worst case metal flakes being sent through the engine oiling system or loss of engine timing while running.

-Joe

vudu_raptor

Reaction score
I got a quote for cam phasers while my truck is in for something else; but I'm in a tight spot financially right now. They started rattling about a year ago; can I keep postponing this without fear of ruining something else? And if I decide to go ahead and get it done what is the latest part number I should be looking for?
My Cam Phasers started rattling in May and was accompanied witha misfire. it was filed under the 60k/5yr warranty. Assuming you are out of the warranty period, if you are still less thatn 90k ford covers a percentage of the cam phasers... If you are above 90k, you can still call their customercare line for assistance. I have the new phaser part number in my truck. I'll reply after work.

vudu_raptor

Reaction score
Lakeland Ford has a good diagram and list of part numbers that may help you reference some things. Im not promoting them by any means. Its what i referenced when speaking to the tech about potential issues. Link here:

Part #20 is what you seek, plus applicable gaskets, seals, timing chains, and chain guides if needed. I've got a bone to pick with the dealer... I was hoping they'd replace the whole timing kit..

Of note: you may still need to verify fitment on the 3.5 HO. I see these part numbers are compatible with the explorer and others... The new Cam sprocket part numbers can also be found on my work-sheet from the dealer. (see attachment) disregard the scribbles. Hope this helps you get closer to the win. I cant find it right now, but someone posted a DIY Cam phaser job on youtube and another forum online. He had a full video and parts list.

-patientia est virtus

Attachments

• astro cam phaser work order SEP23.jpeg
    astro cam phaser work order SEP23.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 24

txmxer

Reaction score
Just fyi, your vin has to qualify for ford to cover any of the repair past their 5yr 60k warranty. Im outside the 5 yr by a few months and they won't cover mine.

fordraptorfun

Reaction score
For a Gen 2 Raptor: Make sure you get the latest revision of the cam phasers, they have the "CD" marking at the end of the part number. "A" is the faulty one.

HL3Z-6256-CD Sprocket - CAM
HL3Z-6C525-CD - CAM

vudu_raptor

Reaction score
For a Gen 2 Raptor: Make sure you get the latest revision of the cam phasers, they have the "CD" marking at the end of the part number. "A" is the faulty one.

HL3Z-6256-CD Sprocket - CAM
HL3Z-6C525-CD - CAM
Is that different from the "ML..." cam? My part numbers started with ML and the part looks different than the part numbers you provided.