Auto Octane tune for gen 3!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Marketing at it's "best".

I called them out on this same BS on another forum and they acted like there was some hidden magic in their tune that I couldn't possibly understand.

The fact is, there is NO way for a Ford engine to know what octane fuel is in the tank, and there's no changes to the factory calibration that can make that happen. Calling is an "auto octane tune" is euphemistic at best

They may have great tunes, but they are being seriously misleading with their advertising language.
Im confused, this is the only forum ive ever posted this on so unsure where we’ve been “called out”.

On that note, im not an engineer or computer expert, Matt is. Im provided information by a manufacture/designer to push forward to my customers in a way thats provided for all to understand. The OEM Raptor utilizes auto-octane capabilities which is “lost” so to say in most tunes.

I semi-understand the sciences behind why/how Matt/GH keeps it and ive as well talked to other tuners and its among the same reasoning. I honestly dont see how we’re misleading customers, but by all means Im all ears as thats the last impression id like anyone to have.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't understand how it works.
I just can't understand! Her dee der...

Please just stop patronizing me.

The "auto octane" is marketing BS and you know it. Using that nomenclature, you fool people who have no idea what a load based calibration strategy even means into thinking "This tune knows what octane is in the tank and adjusts for it". That's not the case at all.

The truck has no idea what is in the tank and there has to be knock for your tune to "auto-adjust".

Knock damages parts. The knocking noise is the rod being slammed downwards by pre-ignition as it's still coming upward in the bore. The knock is the bearing surfaces slamming against each other. Using that as your trigger to identify low octane fuel while running a tune for high octane fuel is "less than ideal".

If someone wants or needs to run 87, a specific tune designed for that is ideal.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SHO forums. You post the same stuff there.
Im not on any SHO forums. Im only on raptor, shelby, and classic muscle car forums. Im unaware of anyone with Hammer Performance or Hammer Built in the SHO forums. It could possibly be a direct GH employee.

In reference to your comment you kade to Matt, the Raptor is an auto-octane vehicle. Theres no specific octane requirements for the gen 3 and it can “auto-octane” from the factory.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean in theory one could swap between 87 and 93 every week and not be breaking any rules with regards to the owners manual. The knock sensors would come into play in this situation too right?

Granted with a stock tune you’re not making an extra 100 hp so if you’re going between 87 and 93 the knock situation is more subtle.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean in theory one could swap between 87 and 93 every week and not be breaking any rules with regards to the owners manual. The knock sensors would come into play in this situation too right?
Yes this is true, but again you are relying on knock sensors to keep your motor from literally grenading. If you went from 93 to 87 the knock sensor would be working overtime to dial things back. Once the computer realizes this is the fuel we have at the moment, it will then continue to test the waters by advancing timing only to be met with knock sensor telling it to backthefuckoff. This is why whenever someone posts a thread on 'WTF gas should I use?' I try to explain why using 87 isn't the best idea and to just use premium fuel.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I get that would be a weird thing to do. Just trying to Add to my own understanding.

I only run 93 99% of the time anyway.

MidLifeRaptor

Reaction score
I dont understand why this turned into an argument or a “call out session”. Why is it relevant what the tune is called? How it achieves its octane flexibility is the same as OEM, possibly even more sensitive - whats the harm done here?

As someone WHO ACTUALLY HAS THIS TUNE INSTALLED and paid out of pocket for it - it’s fantastic! I exclusively run 93 octane as well but what if i loan my truck to a friend?? Or im way out in the woods and only 87 is available? Will it bump the knock sensor like it would on the OEM tune and pull timing? Sure it will! Will i be dogging it when it does? No!!! To be clear, I hope to never use 87 octane, but if i have to, im likely somewhere where i dont want to reflash, and I welcome the OEM knock retard.

Names aside, the truck is way faster, shifts better and has no issues post-flash…. It’s a great product and I’m extremely satisfied - it amazes me that people get so upset over things like a name.

As I’ve said above - the tune is great, the service, delivery and follow through were great. My ECU never left my truck and im making big power over OEM. I liked it so much I even purchased the stage 2 variant for when I upgrade to a full size FMIC vs the stock loc whipple I have currently…

Ignore these griefers - and carry on the good work, Gearhead and HammerBuilt.. I appreciate you providing a product that made my truck accelerate faster and shift better.

I’m sure the other competitors tunes are great too - I don’t know which one is better, I don’t care - I know which one gave me the ability to install with the ECU remaining in the truck and also allows me to flash back to stock on a whim.

Keep selling these for new vehicle releases please, I’ll buy another one for my next truck… You can call that one auto octane too…

Last edited: