GASOLINE OCTANE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I need to clarify that I know almost nothing about vehicle mechanics. I also need to establish that I traded my 2019 Raptor for a 2023 Lariat for the added towing capacity. However I still own a 2021 37. Last night I was at a Christmas Party and met a person whom works at Ford Performance. I forgot his title, but he is fairly high up in the food chain. During a conversation he told me the Lariat has the exact same engine as the Raptor, but it is tuned differently. Then somehow we got on the conversation about octane. He said and I have since verified that both the Lariat and Raptor require 91 octane. I pointed out that the owners manual for the Lariat indicates it can take 87 octane. He told me can and should are two different things. He said “can” is a marketing strategy to imply if 91 is not available, 87 will work. He also said if I use 87 on a regular basis, it could melt some type of seals, (forgot the type of seal) which would not be covered under warranty. The way I recall the the conversation, he said all turbos require 91 and manufacturers are, or have moved to turbos to meet federal standards for mileage. He also said it will be almost impossible to find a new 8 cylinder in a couple of years. I believe (3 martinis down) he told me soon almost every new vehicle, minus a hybrid, will require 91 octane.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I mean... There’s so much to unpack in here.

Not even going to bother. I did have lunch with a fellow 20+ year brewer, a true craftsman at West Coast IPA, and we collab’d in a recent brew that I think will be pretty damn good. I’ll be working on a Wee Heavy in the coming days and then get another round of porter in the kegs.

Octane...

almost as bad as another tire thread.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
In a 231 ci motor making close to 20 lbs of boost and 2HP per ci , if youre not putting in the best fuel you can get.... wth
yeah, true... but you do know there’s no super unleaded in / around baja. So I’ve heard.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah, true... but you do know there’s no super unleaded in / around baja. So I’ve heard.
It's for sure available from most stations in the major cities but you need to find it.

Fuel is called Magna Sin and it 87-90 octane (regular). Magna Premium (Super) is like 94-95 but it's not available at all locations. Around the race area it's widely offered but sometimes they are out as most local's don't buy.

Always good idea to carry octane booster or fill some cans when you can.

Hal993

Reaction score
FWIW - when anyone starts talking about octane booster. - Ford says no MMT (which is often a preferred octane boost chem)

1702829645813.png

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW - when anyone starts talking about octane booster. - Ford says no MMT (which is often a preferred octane boost chem)

View attachment 437052
Not saying use it all the time. Just when the fuel is suspect or not available if needed.

Also, there are some boosters that dont use MMT like gold eagle.

Also, the only issue with MMT is fouled plugs after heavy and extended use.