Cam Phaser Issue & Warranty Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford’s lock action seems to be somewhat secondary to overall oil pressure. When pressure is dropped on engine shutdown, that bias spring that you can see on the outside of the phaser, pushes the cam towards the middle, and the lack of oil pressure allows the pin to fall into the hole under the pin’s spring force. There is a bit more to it I know. There is oil control to the locking pin on one of the rotor leafs. So programming can help by controlling angles before engine shutdown.
Essentially that is correct, but on shutdown the oil in the phaser does not drain back immediately. That is why a sprocket with a failed locking mechanism only rattles after a cold soak, and not after auto start/stop events or between warm starts.

I see also that the HL3Z-***-CD backing plate has a redesigned locking hole which looks as though it would improve the ability to unlock the pin at lower pressures. Old is on the left. New is on the right in the included pictures.
One of things I’ve noticed in pictures of newly failed phasers (ones that have not been allowed to rattle for 10k miles) is the hole that the pin is meant to lock into is worn in a very specific pattern. It’s only on the side furthest from the filling channel. The opposite side is pristine. (Shown in the left picture). There’s an erosion that is deepest at the location that once was the rim of the hole. How did that erosion develop…. Suppose at least some of the time, the lock pin doesn’t make it into the hole, because the parking spring is not quite strong enough to overcome an opening intake or exhaust valve when the engine just comes to rest. Now we restart the engine. The cam sprocket moves rapidly carrying the pin to the hole, but the camshaft doesn’t move at all until that pin slams into the far side of the hole. Just a little material excavation ensues. Repeat that over and over. That may not be what happens. Another possibility... Suppose on engine stop the pin does make it into the hole but in order to seat, it has to displace oil which takes time. Then suppose that infernal auto start/stop kicks right back in with the pin just barely seated. Same thing…one side of the hole takes a hit. Or perhaps another possibility is the pin is just not unlocked enough at idle or low pressure situations and the pin bangs on the rim of the hole. Although I’d expect that to be more symmetric wear.
The programming changes VCT duty cycle while the engine is running. The prior calibration was running the VCT units near the locking cavity threshold. That resulted in wear between the pin and cavity, which is the tapered wear pattern seen in your picture. To your point about keeping the locking pin in the fully unlocked position at idle, the new calibration increases oil pressure at idle for that reason.

I could see where update 21b10 makes things better for phasers that have not yet developed a problem. And I might even be able to see how it makes things worse for phasers that have.
Since it prevents wear from developing, it is critical to longevity for both the prior and current parts.
I’m curious; is the ML3Z-*** part better than the HL3Z-***-CD? Some seem to think so. I have my doubts based on these pictures and the wording of the #3 and #4 supplements
They’re the same internally. People started rumors about that because they appear different; the only reason for the appearance difference was a change in supplier.

OP
OP
jmar311

jmar311

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your feedback. The more and more I read and research it seems to be that the program 21N03, which was released with recall 21B10, didnt seem to do much about this issue. This is maybe the most frustrating defect/issue I've had to deal with when it comes to cars/trucks I've owned. Ford knows it s a known issue and still wants me to pay out of pocket for it...or get the extended warranty or do the finance assistance program.

Then as one response stated, he had it covered under emissions warranty. Theres no rhyme or reason and it just seems to be random solutions to get the repair done based on the dealer. I'm still trying to do what I can to get this covered cost wise.

spack

Reaction score
I’m reading FordTechOne’s response as positive in terms of the issue. It sounds as though the combination of 21b10, and either the ML3Z or the CD version of HL3Z may indeed have produced a result more in line with normal wear for cam phasers. I confess not to being that interested in what Ford did right or wrong or warranties. I’m more interested in the forensics of it. That and I own a 2018 that had phaser replacements and 21b10 applied on the same visit 20k miles ago (with HL3X … CD ). And I wonder what might be in my future. Thanks to FordTechOne for the response. Very much appreciated

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You have to remember that if you have the failure, the failure rate for you is 100%. But on the aggregate, the overwhelming majority did not have the problem.
I’m not in any way minimizing the impact to you and your family, but just pointing out that it’s not a global phenomenon. It’s a higher than expected failure rate during the initial warranty period.

spack

Reaction score
Agreed... I'm sure this is a tiresome topic to the many who have been Raptor owners and on the forum forever. But I bet last month and every month 100s or 1000s of Raptors change hands. And new people joined the forum. I'm guilty on both counts. And I tore into the forum to see what I could learn. A smart person would have done that before buying. But I'm happy to have done it this way. I might not have bought the truck otherwise and I feel that would have been my loss. I was not planning to post or ask questions about it. But I found the shape of the wear and the little piece of metal added to the HLZ... CD part intriguing and unaddressed on the forum. So I wanted an opinion and I got it!!

ba123

Reaction score
Wrong. Your questionable and anecdotal claims do not change the facts. But continue preaching like you have the slightest clue what you’re talking about. Claiming “faulty design” when you don’t have any understanding of how VCT even works is a comical statement at best.

The new calibration wasn’t even available until July of 2021. Claiming you had 2 subsequent phaser replacements after that does not add up at all.

There was no “TSB” regarding pro-rated repairs. That was program 21N03, which was released with recall 21B10. The reason for the pro-rated coverage was to encourage owners to have the preventative update done and cover those that were already at higher mileage with existing wear.
Dude!

Maybe I don't have the number and maybe I'm not using the proper terms, but regardless, you don't have to be an *******.

I didn't say it happened twice since 2021, I just said it happened twice and the last was July of 2022.

I'll post the info if I can find it, but man, the purpose of a forum is to help people, not to be a ******.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude!

Maybe I don't have the number and maybe I'm not using the proper terms, but regardless, you don't have to be an *******.

I didn't say it happened twice since 2021, I just said it happened twice and the last was July of 2022.

I'll post the info if I can find it, but man, the purpose of a forum is to help people, not to be a ******.
The purpose of this forum is to help people. You posted a slew of nonsense and misinformation based on your complete lack of understanding and knowledge. That helps nobody and only adds confusion to the topic. If you don’t understand something don’t get on a soap box and start preaching.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter