GASOLINE OCTANE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hal993

Reaction score
OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same engine, eh? Good to know. As a former LEO, your ability to recall important details is not super great. What seal will melt?
First, you watch too many cop shows on TV. Secondly, I wasn’t one of the people in school that could sit thru a lecture and get a B. I had to study my butt off to get a B-. Also most cops, me included, did not go into LE to, as they say during interviews, help people. Most did so out of necessity, in my case I had to eat. Regardless, the way I recall the conversation, there is something inside the vehicle that detects the octane and adjusts accordingly. It is an ICM, BCM, something along those lines. I believe it will make it so the engine knock is undetectable to the human ear if lower octane gas is used, however the engine does knock. Also lower octane burns hotter than higher octane and over time a valve seal, valve cover…..something valve related will sustain heat damage. The damage may not show up for awhile, but if enough miles are on the truck, it will cause significant damage. He said if it occurs during warranty, the warranty repair will likely be denied. Be that as it may, I remember specifically that the guy from Ford Performance said all turbo’s require higher octane gas, which got my attention because I have been putting 87 in the Lariat.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, you watch too many cop shows on TV. Secondly, I wasn’t one of the people in school that could sit thru a lecture and get a B. I had to study my butt off to get a B-. Also most cops, me included, did not go into LE to, as they say during interviews, help people. Most did so out of necessity, in my case I had to eat. Regardless, the way I recall the conversation, there is something inside the vehicle that detects the octane and adjusts accordingly. It is an ICM, BCM, something along those lines. I believe it will make it so the engine knock is undetectable to the human ear if lower octane gas is used, however the engine does knock. Also lower octane burns hotter than higher octane and over time a valve seal, valve cover…..something valve related will sustain heat damage. The damage may not show up for awhile, but if enough miles are on the truck, it will cause significant damage. He said if it occurs during warranty, the warranty repair will likely be denied. Be that as it may, I remember specifically that the guy from Ford Performance said all turbo’s require higher octane gas, which got my attention because I have been putting 87 in the Lariat.
I think you’re incorrect in saying most cops go into LE so they can eat. There are many higher paying jobs out there. Another misconception is cops don’t have an education, which I found couldn’t be further from the truth. Most cops I know have bachelor’s degrees. I would venture to say most go into LE for the adrenaline, camaraderie, and to make their communities a better place. If you feel like “helping people” was nothing more than a fraudulent theme to your interviews, it’s probably best that you got out.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my 2020 owners manual, including the raptor supplement, states that it's designed to operate on 87 octane rated fuel. Its recommended that you run 91 or higher for maximum overall performance. Running anything less than 87 octane may result in engine damage not covered under warranty. I can check my 2023 owners manual, but I don't think its any different. Knock sensors will cut timing back if spark knock is detected. Performance will suffer accordingly.
Personally, I haven't bought anything other than ethanol free 91 octane since I bought our first 2013 raptor in 2013.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Psssh. The conspiracy side of me says they are geeking up the motors to run on 93 to get better MPG leaving us consumers holding the bag so they can meet CAFE standards on our dime.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know the 21 and up trucks have a different tune, but I believe the minimum octane rating is still 87. FWIW, our 23 doesn't get as good of mileage as our 2020. Run the same fuel in both.
Just run premium all the time and don't worry about it. Manual says I can run synthetic blend oil in it too:rolleyes: