What are the best ways to clean a raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a lame thing to say....

By the way, I never heard who won the Adam's $100 Gift Card Box that I sent you for ROC FEST. #GuiltTrip

:ROFLJest:
my smart assness must not be strong enough......

i dont remember who won, but one of the guys has the list of winners. i will find out

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score

i dont remember who won, but one of the guys has the list of winners. i will find out

Maybe if you washed your truck properly it wouldn't hate you so much and the 4 wheel drive would work when you needed it to.

Just saying......

I use Adams Cleaning stuff religiously and my 4 wheel drive has never not worked.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Its plenty strong, mine is just stronger LOL.

Maybe if you washed your truck properly it wouldn't hate you so much and the 4 wheel drive would work when you needed it to.

Just saying......

I use Adams Cleaning stuff religiously and my 4 wheel drive has never not worked.

^This!

Make her feel pretty and she'll always be there for you! :buffer:

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pressure washer followed by foam cannon and wash mit gets any car/truck about as clean as can be on first go. i try to keep the bug guts off the front, usually just use good 'ol simple green for that.

some people have these 10-15 hour, multi-step ridiculous ways to detail their cars with a million products like they are taking it to the concourse de elegance. as soon as it sees a couple days in normal weather it doesn't look any better than mine.

clean it often, wax it a few times a year with a good sealant, done deal. what really matters in the long run is where it sits. i have the luxury of a garage and underground covered parking at work so those two things are what really makes the difference here in texas.

You might be interested to know that using Simple Green to clean bugs off the front strips off any wax or sealant that you previously applied, leaving no protection on the paint, which then makes it even harder the clean the bugs off the next time.

To make bugs easier to remove without resorting to harsh cleaners, you should consider using a sealant than can be applied to the whole front end. This will allow you to pressure wash off most the bugs. For any stubborn guts, pre-soak them with Waterless Wash or diluted Rinseless Wash to soften them up to allow for easier removal. Then you will not have to scrub on them.

Also, Simple Green will fade out the plastic on the truck, like the black textured plastic bumperettes, and can also etch the clear coat if it dries on the paint.

Last weekend I applied fresh sealants to my truck for the winter (three different sealants for different surfaces, not a million), and it got rained on all week while driven 150 miles, and I guarantee that it still looks better than yours ten minutes after you get done washing it. :ROFLJest:

AFTER DETAILING:

20161023_170957.jpg

20161023_171020.jpg

DRIVEN IN RAIN ALL WEEK:

20161026_132852.jpg

20161026_132747.jpg

JUST TAKEN NOW:

20161028_103006.jpg

20161028_103148.jpg

Last edited:

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be interested to know that using Simple Green to clean bugs off the front strips off any wax or sealant that you previously applied, leaving no protection on the paint, which then makes it even harder the clean the bugs off the next time.

To make bugs easier to remove without resorting to harsh cleaners, you should consider using a sealant than can be applied to the whole front end. This will allow you to pressure wash off most the bugs. For any stubborn guts, pre-soak them with Waterless Wash or diluted Rinseless Wash to soften them up to allow for easier removal. Then you will not want to have to scrub on them.

Also, Simple Green will fade out the plastic on the truck, like the black textured plastic bumperettes, and can also etch the clear coat if it dries on the paint.

Last weekend I applied fresh sealants to my truck for the winter (three different sealants for different surfaces, not a million), and it got rained on all week while driven 150 miles, and I guarantee that it still looks better than yours ten minutes after you get done washing it. :ROFLJest:

AFTER DETAILING:

View attachment 80957

View attachment 80958

DRIVEN IN RAIN ALL WEEK:

View attachment 80959

View attachment 80960

JUST TAKEN NOW:

View attachment 80961

View attachment 80962

That is one beautiful shiny truck.

I agree, Simple Green is horrible to use anywhere on a truck. A good sealant will always keep bugs and debris from sticking to the clear coat. I apply Meguiar's M21 sealant followed with M21 yellow wax and bugs usually come of with a good foam wash. In really bad cases a little APC will soften them up enough to wipe right off. The key is to have good protection on the paint and not let them sit on the paint to long.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I agree, Simple Green is horrible to use anywhere on a truck. A good sealant will always keep bugs and debris from sticking to the clear coat. I apply Meguiar's M21 sealant followed with M21 yellow wax and bugs usually come of with a good foam wash. In really bad cases a little APC will soften them up enough to wipe right off. The key is to have good protection on the paint and not let them sit on the paint to long.

Thanks man!

Megs M21 would protect the painted surfaces and headlights, but what kind of sealant do you use on the rest of the front end, like the grill, plastic vents, bumperettes, and windshield?

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man!

Megs M21 would protect the painted surfaces and headlights, but what kind of sealant do you use on the rest of the front end, like the grill, plastic vents, bumperettes, and windshield?

I use Meguiar's Hyper Dressing at 4:1 on plastic and rubber (including tires) because it has a natural shine. I'm not into super shiny tires (I'm not 18 anymore).
Headlights get clay-barred and Meguiar's Ultimate spray wax.

All exterior glass gets-clay barred and RainX. It's surprising how much the clay pulls off glass that looks clean.

I'm getting ready to try Optimum No Rinse for the first time and I'm really skeptical. I'm old school and love my foam gun wash with two bucket system. It seems unnatural to wash a car with no foam or running water. All of the reviews found no scratching or swirling, but that doesn't ease my mind.

AndrewLuz

Reaction score
I use Meguiar's Hyper Dressing at 4:1 on plastic and rubber (including tires) because it has a natural shine. I'm not into super shiny tires (I'm not 18 anymore).
Headlights get clay-barred and Meguiar's Ultimate spray wax.

All exterior glass gets-clay barred and RainX. It's surprising how much the clay pulls off glass that looks clean.

I'm getting ready to try Optimum No Rinse for the first time and I'm really skeptical. I'm old school and love my foam gun wash with two bucket system. It seems unnatural to wash a car with no foam or running water. All of the reviews found no scratching or swirling, but that doesn't ease my mind.

I own a detail shop and I use the Optimum No Rinse product every day at work. I can tell you that it is an excellent product if used correctly. Any wash method will produce swirls if done incorrectly. If the truck has mud or a heavy buildup of dirt/grime you need to pressure wash it first. I always mix the product at a 2oz per gallon ratio. You will only need 1/2-1 gallon to do the whole truck. It works great on the interior and glass too if you put it in a spray bottle. I always wash vehicles one panel at a time and dry with a clean microfiber. Whenever the wash cloth gets dirty turn to a clean side or rinse it off in a second bucket then dunk it in the Optimum bucket. Hope this helps.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i don't know what people have against simple green. i've been using it for years on very very well-maintained vehicles and i've never had a single problem. show me proof that simple green has screwed up your or anyone else's car/truck and i'll believe it. using words like "horrible" would be associated with rubbing your car down with acetone, not simple green.

when i use it, the simple green is on the car for all of about a minute since i spray, wipe/clean and move to the next spot. it never sits on the clearcoat (or plastic) and immediately after i'm done cleaning i either do a full sealant treatment on the area or a spray treatment if its very minor. but seriously, i wouldn't let any cleaner, regardless of how "gentle" or "safe" it was sit on any surface for very long.