What are the best ways to clean a raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My paint has sucked from day one so the cleaning is even less frequent than it was on my Subaru. How many of you guys have a factory orange peel finish? I know I do...

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My paint has sucked from day one so the cleaning is even less frequent than it was on my Subaru. How many of you guys have a factory orange peel finish? I know I do...

Most factory paint jobs have some degree of orange peel, and the Raptor is no exception, but the Raptors I have seen don't seem overly bad compared to other vehicles.

You can address some of the orange peel in the clear coat by machine polishing, but any orange peel in the base or color coat is there to stay.

-Dan

ckanderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optimum makes great wash and wax products. use them on all my cars, no need to drag out a hose, two buckets, wax it after. its prob cut 2/3 out of the time i spend detailing my truck. and its cheap. love their stuff.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most factory paint jobs have some degree of orange peel, and the Raptor is no exception, but the Raptors I have seen don't seem overly bad compared to other vehicles.

You can address some of the orange peel in the clear coat by machine polishing, but any orange peel in the base or color coat is there to stay.

-Dan

You can't really have orange peel in the base coat. It is layed down too thin for that. Buffing alone won't fix orange peel. You can reduce it some. The only way to get rid of orange peel in the clear coat is wet sanding and buffing.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can't really have orange peel in the base coat. It is layed down too thin for that. Buffing alone won't fix orange peel. You can reduce it some. The only way to get rid of orange peel in the clear coat is wet sanding and buffing.

The base coat can still have orange peel, but like you said, since the base coat is thinner, any orange peel would be less noticable than in the thicker clear coat.

Typical thickness for base coat is 0.5-1.5 mils, which is still enough film thickness to show imperfections like orange peel. OEM clear coats are in the range of 1.5-4.0 mils, so they would show more.

For high end paint jobs that might cost $15-50k, they will still block and sand the base coat(s) in addition to the clear coat(s) to get a super smooth appearance.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pressure washer followed by foam cannon and wash mit gets any car/truck about as clean as can be on first go. i try to keep the bug guts off the front, usually just use good 'ol simple green for that.

some people have these 10-15 hour, multi-step ridiculous ways to detail their cars with a million products like they are taking it to the concourse de elegance. as soon as it sees a couple days in normal weather it doesn't look any better than mine.

clean it often, wax it a few times a year with a good sealant, done deal. what really matters in the long run is where it sits. i have the luxury of a garage and underground covered parking at work so those two things are what really makes the difference here in texas.