Looking at Gen 2 Scabs. What are peoples thoughs on the trail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mass-hole

Reaction score
Hey, I currently own a 2014 F150 Screw 6.5' bed, and a 2011 Lexus GX460. I also just picked up a 2018 Chevy Bolt a few weeks ago as a daily driver and the F150/GX460 are pretty much just sitting in the garage unless we need two cars are the same time(wife and I both work from home). The F150 is primarily a tow rig for a relatively small travel trailer and my GX460 is more of an offroad/trail truck. Both can tow the trailer and both can offroad, but the F150 is too long to offroad really well, an the GX doesnt tow super well. Since I now have the Bolt, I am trying to consolidate down to a single vehicle that can tow decently and offroad decently so I can go camping and then hit some trails.

So I am looking at 2018-2020 Scab Raptors and just wanted to get a feel from actual owners how they handle on the trails. I know they are very wide, but does the short wheelbase allow them to be nimble enough to maneuver through tighter sections? I could be on anything from wooded forest trails in the mountains to open desert trails in southern UT(Moab or other areas)

What about cam phasers. The particular 2019 I am looking at has a January 2019 build date, so its the original phasers, and there was no recall/CSB ever performed on it and there is not one currently as they expired I believe. The truck cold started fine when I looked at it but I am guessing it is just a matter of time before its an issue. The dealer wants me to buy an extended warranty from them and I don't want to. I can do the phasers myself if need be but I am having a hard time buying a nearly $50000 truck, with phasers than could crap the bed next month.

My current trucks:

Moab offroad1.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpg

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The width is an issue. I've noticed that sometimes it forces me to take a particular line - down the middle. So I've had to do a little trail building and tree cutting. And I still have a lot of pinstripes. Sounds like you have a good idea of what trail conditions you're going to see, so imagine that your F150 is six inches wider than it is and that should tell you whether it's going to work for you.

As for towing - the Raptor ain't great. A "relatively small travel trailer" sounds like it might be a little big unless you want to upgrade the rear leaf springs and get a WDH. But without knowing exactly how big and how heavy it is, that's just speculation.

OP
OP
M

mass-hole

Reaction score
The width is an issue. I've noticed that sometimes it forces me to take a particular line - down the middle. So I've had to do a little trail building and tree cutting. And I still have a lot of pinstripes. Sounds like you have a good idea of what trail conditions you're going to see, so imagine that your F150 is six inches wider than it is and that should tell you whether it's going to work for you.

As for towing - the Raptor ain't great. A "relatively small travel trailer" sounds like it might be a little big unless you want to upgrade the rear leaf springs and get a WDH. But without knowing exactly how big and how heavy it is, that's just speculation.

Yeah I know the Raptor's probably not ideal for towing. I do have a WDH. The trailer is 24' total length and 5500 lb GVWR. Most of the time it probably runs around 5k. I also am running lithium batteries that I relocated in the back of the trailer so the tongue weight isnt too bad.

The Lexus pulls the trailer well. Stability wise I have no issues and its a much shorter wheelbase than a raptor(109"). The lexus just doesn't have the HP or fuel tank size to do the job well and so I tend to only use it for shorter trips. I know the Ecoboost/10 speed will have no issue as my current truck is a 1st gen 3.5L EB, and I can bed mount some Rotopax to bring extra fuel in the raptor.

I've been able to get my truck down most trails but the issue is the length more than the width. In tighter sections, when I cut the wheel, the rear axle being so far back that it tends to cut the inside of the corners and gets into the trees. The other issue is the breakover is just horrible and any dumb little step is trying to smash a running board. I took it on some "intermediate" trails in Moab for fun and had to be really careful with my lines and have my wife spot me just keep the running boards from hitting too hard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mass-hole

Reaction score
Another concern I have is will I be rebuilding the Live Valve shocks the second I buy the truck at 55k miles? That seems to be extremely pricey.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yes, they are wider than a Jeep, that’s for sure. The Scab is going to be better than the Screw on a break over like this for certain. We did the Canaan Loop in WV Sunday and most of the first few miles of the trail was brush rubbing down both sides, I just pulled the mirrors in. To date I’ve gotten most trail pins tripping straightened out with and orbital polisher and just polish, haven’t had to resort to a cutting compound just yet. Mine is a 19, I just don’t even think or worry about the cam phasers. The forums had me convinced the engine was gonna blow up in my GT 350 and the intermediate shaft bearing was gonna kill the engine in my Porsche, neither one happened .

Attachments

• 20230923_141450_resized.jpeg
    20230923_141450_resized.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 9

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 430205View attachment 430206

95” wide. Scabs handle amazing Offroad.
Super cool. Silver is best. It looks completely bad ass. Do you have a build thread? I’ve progressed to FFRS coilovers so far. I’d love to do the front end like yours, do you have bypass shocks in the front also? I could do everything except body work and welding in shock mounts, I used to be a good welder( IMO), but my eye sight has degraded to the point I just can’t do it very well any more and I’m kinda picky when it comes to fabrication. There’s one guy on here, Mattl600( I think). he’s done amazing things with his truck and seems to be doing it himself, I’m in awe.
I generally only keep a project vehicle about 3 years and then I start getting a wandering eye, but think I’ll keep my Scab for awhile.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Super cool. Silver is best. It looks completely bad ass. Do you have a build thread? I’ve progressed to FFRS coilovers so far. I’d love to do the front end like yours, do you have bypass shocks in the front also? I could do everything except body work and welding in shock mounts, I used to be a good welder( IMO), but my eye sight has degraded to the point I just can’t do it very well any more and I’m kinda picky when it comes to fabrication. There’s one guy on here, Mattl600( I think). he’s done amazing things with his truck and seems to be doing it himself, I’m in awe.
I generally only keep a project vehicle about 3 years and then I start getting a wandering eye, but think I’ll keep my Scab for awhile.

@mattl600 had help from SVC I believe.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a very fair comparison but....

Not considering width of my 14 SCREW Rap.
My '06 SCAB w/5.5' bed has a much tighter turn radius and I find it easier to back a trailer. I have a 10' ramp trailer.

I do wish I woulda looked for a SCAB