Thoughts on new Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experienced what feels like either an engine miss or transmission slip in 5th gear? My truck in normal mode under mild acceleration has some funky characteristics in 5th gear. It almost feels like it shifts twice in 5th.

I have noticed what you are describing in almost all gears while I was running 87 octane (dealership agreed it was running funny and had my truck for 8 days on two separate occasions trying to figure it out). When I switched to 93 octane, most of my issues went away, but I am not 100% convinced they have totally gone away. What octane are you running?

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have noticed what you are describing in almost all gears while I was running 87 octane (dealership agreed it was running funny and had my truck for 8 days on two separate occasions trying to figure it out). When I switched to 93 octane, most of my issues went away, but I am not 100% convinced they have totally gone away. What octane are you running?

I've run 93, 89 and 87. I didn't pay attention if it made a difference. Next tank I'll try 93 but FordPass is currently showing me with 491 miles to empty. :biggrin: So it will be a few days

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I have definitely noticed a difference when the truck is cold, so you are not alone with what you are experiencing. As strange as it sounds, if I start my truck and immediately take off driving, it seems like it drives "weird" for the entire trip (20+ miles). If I just let it sit there idling for about 30 seconds and take off driving, the experience seems to be much more pleasant. The 30 second delay definitely isn't allowing anything to really warm up, but it seems to help for some strange reason. Maybe the truck just needs a little time to clear the cobwebs when you wake her?

I have always had the habit of starting my cars a couple of minutes before I get in it and leave... just seems better for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miula

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experienced what feels like either an engine miss or transmission slip in 5th gear? My truck in normal mode under mild acceleration has some funky characteristics in 5th gear. It almost feels like it shifts twice in 5th.

Now that you mention it, I did notice some interesting behavior of the 5th gear over the weekend.

If I am cruising around 35 - 50 mph it seems to bump into gear ever so slightly when downshifting into 5th; also the transmission is constantly hunting for the correct gear when in traffic at those speeds.

Its interesting that it only seems to do it on the downshifts and in those particular conditions...

Maybe 5th gear is a dog clutch vs. friction plate?

I am guessing the software controlling the transmission will be refined with software updates going forward...

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After only two days if driving I have zero issues with the transmission. I don't notice it which should be the goal.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, I did notice some interesting behavior of the 5th gear over the weekend.

If I am cruising around 35 - 50 mph it seems to bump into gear ever so slightly when downshifting into 5th; also the transmission is constantly hunting for the correct gear when in traffic at those speeds.

Its interesting that it only seems to do it on the downshifts and in those particular conditions...

Maybe 5th gear is a dog clutch vs. friction plate?

I am guessing the software controlling the transmission will be refined with software updates going forward...

My 5th gear issue is when I'm accelerating and the transmission is upshifting. In 5th it feels like it shifts twice which is doesn't do in any of the other gears.

I also have a distinct bump when the transmission downshifts while I'm slowing. That has been consistent since new.

I haven't tried sport mode to see if that is any different. I'll have to give that a try.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
My 5th gear issue is when I'm accelerating and the transmission is upshifting. In 5th it feels like it shifts twice which is doesn't do in any of the other gears.

I also have a distinct bump when the transmission downshifts while I'm slowing. That has been consistent since new.

I haven't tried sport mode to see if that is any different. I'll have to give that a try.

I'm driving mine 2k miles home next month when it comes in. So I'm anxious to give some feedback hopefully on the positive side. I'm a little nervous to be honest.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The "2nd shift" is probably just the converter locking.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm driving mine 2k miles home next month when it comes in. So I'm anxious to give some feedback hopefully on the positive side. I'm a little nervous to be honest.

Curious as to how others will respond ........ I love the truck, but the transmission definitely is not as refined and smooth as nearly all other cars/trucks that I have driven. I accept it for what it is because I am driving a specialty truck, but if I bought a sedan or luxury automobile that shifted like me Raptor, I would be very upset and less forgiving.