GEN 2 Raptor power/torque release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across this page Muzi Ford's website even though I was looking to find the height of the 2017 Raptor.

I assume the HP number is solely based on rumors but who knows...

New 2017 Ford Raptor Price & Release Date | At Muzi Ford Serving Boston, Newton, Waltham and Norwood

The page states that, "The new engine is paired with a brand new 10 speed automatic transmission, that replaces the outgoing 6 speed transmission, and produces an impressive 450 horsepower."

I'm taking it with a grain of salt...

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
450 is the number that Raj Nair let slip over a year ago. He was being interviewed during a race.

Lots of time for that number to have been revised either up or down.

I have to admit that I'd be disappointed in 430-440 for an engine that's going to get over 600 in the GT. At 438, you have to wonder why they're spending money on that exhaust. I kind of expected the 450 number, but was secretly hoping for a bit more.

But the truth is that's all just for bragging rights. The truck will be plenty powerful regardless what number they put on it.

Last edited:

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Paired with Ecoboost engine technology improves power to weight ratio by over 16%"

Which brochure is this?

Does it say that it's a 16% increase for the new 2017 Raptor over the old last-gen Raptor?

If there is no basis for comparison you can't really use math to draw a conclusion. Could be compared to old truck, base F150, gen 2 without the weight loss, etc.

However the numbers seem like they'd be close. All the speculation and statements from Ford reps seem to indicate "over 450" or thereabouts. If you massage the numbers assuming something "over 16%" e.g. 16.5%, a higher quoted curb weight (official spec for supercrew was 6,210 lbs), and a lower number for "almost 500lbs" e.g. 450 lbs, the number gets closer to that rumored 450+ horsepower.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

450 is the number that Raj Nair let slip over a year ago. He was being interviewed during a race.

Lots of time for that number to have been revised either up or down.

I have to admit that I'd be disappointed in 430-440 for an engine that's going to get over 600 in the GT. At 438, you have to wonder why they're spending money on that exhaust. I kind of expected the 450 number, but was secretly hoping for a bit more.

But the truth is that's all just for bragging rights. The truck will be plenty powerful regardless what number they put on it.

Me too.

With enough torque, ultimate horsepower figure doesn't really matter but it seems like they should be able to easily deliver a truck with a number over 450.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which brochure is this?

Does it say that it's a 16% increase for the new 2017 Raptor over the old last-gen Raptor?

If there is no basis for comparison you can't really use math to draw a conclusion. Could be compared to old truck, base F150, gen 2 without the weight loss, etc.

However the numbers seem like they'd be close. All the speculation and statements from Ford reps seem to indicate "over 450" or thereabouts. If you massage the numbers assuming something "over 16%" e.g. 16.5%, a higher quoted curb weight (official spec for supercrew was 6,210 lbs), and a lower number for "almost 500lbs" e.g. 450 lbs, the number gets closer to that rumored 450+ horsepower.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Me too.

With enough torque, ultimate horsepower figure doesn't really matter but it seems like they should be able to easily deliver a truck with a number over 450.

Lol you reeeeeeally want it to be over 450

Svtcrew

Reaction score
The great thing about these Turbo Ecoboost motors is the ability to easily install an aftermarket tune. I'm not a tuning expert, but the Ecoboost motors seem to be very capable in the right hands. These guys have a few different tunes for the 3.5 Ecoboost ranging from +30 to +110 HP. I realize this is not the same motor that the 2017 Raptor will get, but this gives you an idea.

https://youtu.be/z9Io_6WJ4u8

I suspect they or one of several other companies out there will give us an easy plug and play 500HP solution.

kevin85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The great thing about these Turbo Ecoboost motors is the ability to easily install an aftermarket tune. I'm not a tuning expert, but the Ecoboost motors seem to be very capable in the right hands. These guys have a few different tunes for the 3.5 Ecoboost ranging from +30 to +110 HP. I realize this is not the same motor that the 2017 Raptor will get, but this gives you an idea.

https://youtu.be/z9Io_6WJ4u8

I suspect they or one of several other companies out there will give us an easy plug and play 500HP solution.

That's true for most turbo engines, factory tunes are very conservative. Even the GT-R, as mush power as it makes from the factory, a simple tune with bolt ons picks up 100 hp and 100 ft-lb easy

A_Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any risk of breaking anything with tunes that add so much HP? I've never owned a turbocharged vehicle so I don't have a clue.

The inexpensive HP gain may be another reason to upgrade from my 2014. I'm still on the fence though.

kevin85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any risk of breaking anything with tunes that add so much HP? I've never owned a turbocharged vehicle so I don't have a clue.

The inexpensive HP gain may be another reason to upgrade from my 2014. I'm still on the fence though.

of course, there are always risk of breaking stuff when you mod the car. I don't know how good is Ford on detecting custom tunes. But most tunes are reversible back to OEM tune. Usually mild tune only increase the boost by 1-3 psi. That being said, Ford might have a way to notice you had a flash before. But on the case of my old Subaru STI, the factory tune is just crap...it was safer to get the car tuned with correct AFR.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter