OEM brake pads replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would always recommend you replace your rotors when you do pads. When you turn rotors, you are making them thinner, thus more prone to warping. If the rotors are warped already, you'd have to remove more material and possible go under minimum specs and end up needing new rotors anyways. Save the hassle and just put new rotors on. Rotors aren't that expensive either.

Like others have said, if your pedal is soft, most likely the problem is not your brake pads.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to sum it up.

1. unless you are abusing them or they are defective. no vehicle needs new rotors at 23k.
2. if they are indeed defective, they would be covered by the manufacturers warranty for free replacement.
3. yes it's advisable to change rotors or have them turned whenever changing pads. Though "advisable" varies greatly. MANY MANY MANY rotors have gone 100k without needing to be changed.
4. having rotors turned these days is in many cases is not worth it at all given the cost of new rotors.

I dig the power stop kit. good price. compare at autoanything.com and see what they can do.

Just saying. if you really want to spend 400 bucks have at it. but it's highly doubtful your truck needs it.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come from aerospace manufacturing and had my own "rally car" based business for years. I will not EVER allow some jack ass to "turn" (ruin) my rotors. That is like the old and equally ignorant shade tree belief that certain engines "need back pressure" (exhaust sizing). Only three options, ignorance, chosen ignorance, or you have a business and are ******** someone else to make money. There are many white papers on the subject.

99% of the time when people think their rotors are "warped" what they really have is uneven pad transfer on the rotor from the pad. Usually from pushing a pad compound past it's max thermal threshold, then stopping motion allowing an uncooled pad to "stick" to the rotor. This leaves a deposit on the surface greater than all remaining area on the rotor. Later you attempt to stop and feel the high spot, or pulsation pedal believing the rotor is "warped".

On my mine and customers cars, a quick (but even) use of a wire wheel would remove the deposit and return the performance to normal. Sometimes you could knock the glaze off the pad too, but not advisable and only in a pinch.

Best practice is to just replace the rotors and use a better pad compound. I'm a new 2020 Raptor owner and have not looked into what is available yet. I will say one of the best compounds for spirited daily use I EVER came across was the Ferodo DS 2500 pads for my Brembo equipped Evo VIII. At about $300 a front set they were not cheap, but FREAKIN fantastic for anything short of a real track day/competition. Then depending, DS3000 or better.

Cliff notes:

Never trust a mechanic who believes in turning rotors.
Never "turn" rotors. De-glaze or better yet replace.
Use better pad compound in the firsst place to reduce the issue before its a problem.