OEM brake pads replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is 2019 and I got 23k miles on it. Brakes are soft and looking for replacement. Not the caliper or rotors, just brake pads. Any recommendations????

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM’s if you didn’t have issues.

Regardless of the manufacture, you should at least get your rotors turned.

OEMs are best option. The rotors can be turned but do not be surprised if they pulsate later down the road. All depends on how you drive really. 23k seems low to be having issues already.

Is it possible you boiled your brake fluid from towing or heavy stops? Stuck up caliper guide pin? Have you actually confirmed your pad thickness yet?

OP
OP
Dirtypope

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEMs are best option. The rotors can be turned but do not be surprised if they pulsate later down the road. All depends on how you drive really. 23k seems low to be having issues already.

Is it possible you boiled your brake fluid from towing or heavy stops? Stuck up caliper guide pin? Have you actually confirmed your pad thickness yet?
I did not. I’ll check it out and see how bad they are. No heavy stops and no towing. I got beadlocks rings tho

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not. I’ll check it out and see how bad they are. No heavy stops and no towing. I got beadlocks rings tho

Hmm... I’d get a visual on it first. Bead lock rings shouldn’t affect it that much. If the pads are at 5mm of thickness or more, I wouldn’t worry about it and that is still a fairly conservative number.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only things the rings would effect are wheel balance and that’s only if they’ve been damaged.

A soft pedal can only be 3 things. A leak in the system, air in the system or Master cylinder issues

Leaks would cause low brake pressure
Air would cause low brake pressure
Master cylinder issues would cause low pressure

Soft pedal with none of the above would pads well below the safe amount of remaining pad and you would have blown through the sensor warnings by then.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your issue is simply what you consider a soft pedal. I might change out my brake fluid first. as mentioned the symptom doesn't fit low brake pads.

95% chance it is NOT low brake pads unless you have some super rough use going on.

I replaced my front pads at 31k, just because they squeaked a little bit. but they had plenty of meat left on them. the squeak was just driving me insane.

beadlocks would affect nothing

you are about to get 40 different brake pad recommendations.

having the rotors turned or replaced at that mileage seems excessive unless they are defective somehow or were abused baja style

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="txgunsntrucks, post: 1498631, member: 39224"

having the rotors turned or replaced at that mileage seems excessive unless they are defective somehow or were abused baja style[/QUOTE]
It’s always best practice to have the rotors turned to help new pads bed in.

Not necessary, but advisable.