Are there better options for pads and rotors then OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Put me in the camp of people who would not spend ONE DIME upgrading OEM brakes (rotors, pads) when there is a 6 piston fixed caliper and rotor set for $1500. Call me crazy.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
All the videos I have seen, have the antilock brake system activated and they claim shorter stopping distance. I call BS on that.
One of the kits, maybe all, remove the rotor rock guard which would surely increase cooling and reduce brake fade. Add the SS brake line to add a bit more sensitivity
A braking test that launches the antilock brake system is no more than a tire traction test.

For you non believers,
Threshold braking is the maximum amount of brake pressure you can use before your tires lock up. Being able to sense where that limit is takes practice, as it varies from car to car. On newer cars with ABS, it's the point right before the system kicks in. Your goal is to be able to extract as much braking force as possible without locking up your wheels or activating it.

So what I’m saying here is that threshold braking is a tire traction test or at least more close to it than what you said above. Well, probably best said as a braking system test but, closer to tire traction test than just mashing the pedal with ABS engaged. The latter is not a tire traction test, it’s an ABS system test. It can certainly include the tires as part of the equation, but you’re not going to vet the efficacy of the brakes / tires with a “mash the pedal and panic stop with ABS” test. With threshold braking you will at least be wringing the maximum amount of stopping power available.

Fitment would be a concern for me for these kits; I don’t have 20’s. But for the stopping distance potential difference, I can see the value add.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It can certainly include the tires as part of the equation, but you’re not going to vet the efficacy of the brakes / tires with a “mash the pedal and panic stop with ABS” test. With threshold braking you will at least be wringing the maximum amount of stopping power available.
So we agree!!
I heard there were nude midgets in the smoking hot thread!

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Put me in the camp of people who would not spend ONE DIME upgrading OEM brakes (rotors, pads) when there is a 6 piston fixed caliper and rotor set for $1500. Call me crazy.
I would be very hesitant to buy a $1,500 systems when every other quality system is $3,000+.

Put me in the camp of "you get what you pay for"

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just another note. The factory floating caliper design is far less efficient than a fixed caliper with pistons on both sides. No one uses a floating caliper in a performance application, they are cheap with 1/2 the machining operations.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So we agree!!
I heard there were nude midgets in the smoking hot thread!
That’s a bit of a stretch. About the agreeing part, not the nude midgets.
apparently micro is the new “it” term for pint sized adults. I saw an ad for ‘micro wrestling’ at the local bbq joint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter