Are there better options for pads and rotors then OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CVP33

Reaction score
On the street or track I don’t ever want ABS to engage. Of course sometimes due to conditions (wet) or circumstances (panic stop) you have to. What I do want is a linear pedal feel that makes sense to my primitive brain, e.g. pedal effort = to stopping power with no unpredictable spikes or dips. When I don’t trust the brakes (like now with God knows what pads are on it) I drive hyper-defensively allowing for longer stopping distances and ‘outs’ (open lane left/right to escape stupid). The issue comes when you’re driving that way, especially around Charlotte, NC - you’re going to get cut off over and over again.

CVP33

Reaction score
3 pound drop is huge
Yeah my old Simpson (snell SA2010) was like wearing a bowling ball on your head. My newer one is snell SA2015 so I’ll need to update in 2025 (good for 10 years). We run SA because they’re fire rated vs. DOT, K or M (motorcycle) that are not.

I may go SAH rated (Hans device) as I’m hitting speeds that really warrant more safety equipment.

CVP33

Reaction score
Nice video, was that you driving?
Yes. It’s my home track, VIR and I’ve been going for 16 years. I use to 1/4 mile a lot…….a lot a lot, but got tired of 10 second passes followed by 45 minutes of sitting in the pits.

This is my buddy chasing me in the same session:
- 475hp fully gutted racing GT3 so similar power to weight ratio
- PDK so no shifting for him
- Carbon Ceramic brakes / so you’ll see he out-brakes me everywhere
- And he’s on Hoosier Racing Slicks and I’m on Nitto NT-01 intermediates

We both ran our best times (2:02’s) and we humbled a $250K Yellow Porsche 911 Turbo S. My buddy campaigns his GT3 in the SCCA series and has his racing license. Anytime a hack like me can hold him off is a good day at the track.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had terrible neck and shoulder pain after riding, after being nuked a few times, the Doc gave me a rubber band and said exercise your neck. I also went for the much lighter carbon fiber, problem solved.

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would add some additional logic to @CVP33 s comment.

If anyone is in my AO (Northern Utah) and wants to test their stock brakes against my Alcons, let me know. @Zeusmotorworks and others may or may not be will to give the same offer.

If the goal is ABS activation in the worst possible conditions the Honda civic brakes are good enough for everyone

Our trucks are 4 channel ABS so locking up one or both rear tires "activating" ABS isn't a test as the fronts have a ton more traction and as such require/can tolerate more braking force.

Raptors are equipped with standard F150 brakes yet have a much larger tire contact patch.
Going with the larger/wider tires. Why do manufacturers of super high performance cars (think ZR1 and GT500) offer or provide a larger more powerful brake option when the standard brakes would be powerful enough to activate ABS.

I love the flatearther analogy!!!

Thinking that the manufacturer left a shit ton on the table when regarding engine performance, radio performance and/suspension performance, but nailed braking performance 110% is retarded!!!!
Any gen 3s on 37s in central texas, reach out to me lets do s test vs my wilwoods

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. It’s my home track, VIR and I’ve been going for 16 years. I use to 1/4 mile a lot…….a lot a lot, but got tired of 10 second passes followed by 45 minutes of sitting in the pits.

This is my buddy chasing me in the same session:
- 475hp fully gutted racing GT3 so similar power to weight ratio
- PDK so no shifting for him
- Carbon Ceramic brakes / so you’ll see he out-brakes me everywhere
- And he’s on Hoosier Racing Slicks and I’m on Nitto NT-01 intermediates

We both ran our best times (2:02’s) and we humbled a $250K Yellow Porsche 911 Turbo S. My buddy campaigns his GT3 in the SCCA series and has his racing license. Anytime a hack like me can hold him off is a good day at the track.

That’s really cool. You smoked him.

CVP33

Reaction score
That’s really cool. You smoked him.
I was driving my tail off, so was he, and he got loose 3 times trying to stay with me which always feels good. Trust me, I’ve been humbled many times on that track. Don’t get me wrong 2:02’s at VIR is flying, but a real racer in a Z06 will run sub 2’s. I had a guy in new Supra running me down with 1:58’s. I just gave him a point-by and tried to hang with him……not a chance. Lost me after 1/2 a lap. Great fun though.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was driving my tail off, so was he, and he got loose 3 times trying to stay with me which always feels good. Trust me, I’ve been humbled many times on that track. Don’t get me wrong 2:02’s at VIR is flying, but a real racer in a Z06 will run sub 2’s. I had a guy in new Supra running me down with 1:58’s. I just gave him a point-by and tried to hang with him……not a chance. Lost me after 1/2 a lap. Great fun though.
Have you tried the Hoosier slicks? Your car looks to have better top end

CVP33

Reaction score
Short answer, no. Long answer is I drive to/from the track so I need a DOT approved tire. The NT-01’s are really an incredible tire. I’ve since discovered the Nankang AR-1’s which are also a great intermediate and I sold the 2019 Z06 for a 2021 ZL1 1LE which is also an easy 2:02 car. sold that a couple of months ago and I’m on the wait-list at Hendrick for a new Z06 but lots of folks in front of me. I may go find a real race car to run this season while I wait.

Attachments

• IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6032.jpeg
    IMG_6032.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6030.jpeg
    IMG_6030.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 6