Are there better options for pads and rotors then OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are trying to justify a position that only a select few are capable of.
All the back and forth was misinterpreted.
1. A braking test where 1/10 of 1 second is eight feet and the fact they were locking up the ABS system truly makes the test useless. If they were doing threshold or performance braking it would be more believable
2. Without a doubt there are higher friction pads. They feel great, makes one think they are braking better due to less peddle pressure required. But, again, if the stock pad and a fancy pad will both allow threshold braking, where is the gain? Let’s hear it?
3. I think pads, rotor and calipers and better fluid can help braking performance. You can reduce fade, have better control, IE: more controllable threshold braking, etc…
4. My argument is, none of this performance stuff helps much when you fully activate the ABS system. Panic brakeing, Like they did in the videos.
I also question if a system like Alcon would work well on very slick/snow and ice, knowing they shift the braking bias considerably to the front.
There is a huge difference in a track car and a truck that is used as a daily by most. A track car with a competent driver could probably out brake most ABS systems. And those cars have very well maintained systems to allow for precision and performance.
So, braking is the opposite of acceleration. What do drag racers do the increase acceleration? They heat up the tires by a burn out. They are just increasing tire traction. Hence, they can only accelerate as fast as there tires will allow. Yes, there is an art to that, just like braking. Full spin on acceleration or lock up during braking are not the fastest or best.
Sooooooooooo, based on your argument there is 0 need for any engine performance modifications because in the "best" conditions every car can smoke the tires.

I get it, 30 years ago I would have agreed 110% with you. When ABS became main stream I figured brakes had reached the pinical of performance.

I feel you are making the argument from an ignorance stand point and have no actual experience. Just my 0.02 as I could be wrong. I just feel you are an engineer/scientist who looks at "data" but doesn't actually have all the "data".

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll add a last comment, maybe. I don’t disagree with most of what’s been discussed. I have driven a Raptor with Alcon’s and you better be ready for a face plant into the steering wheel. They really feel good. My argument was only during a full smash panic brake activating the ABS. That is what I saw in the videos. Maybe a better way to say it, in full ABS mode, all the great stuff can’t work when in that mode.

CVP33

Reaction score
This thread is for the 10 percenters only. 10% that know how to drive and know what good brakes should feel like. I’m very familiar with Z06 owners who only wax their vehicles and have no desire to improve performance as long as it’s shiny…..meanwhile I’m attempting to scare the GT3’s back into the pits.

Go to 16:50 in the video if you want to see what 10/10ths looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 31919FC0-6014-4679-AFC5-8CA7E9903C90-9242-0000037A1301B937.jpeg
    31919FC0-6014-4679-AFC5-8CA7E9903C90-9242-0000037A1301B937.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 5

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sooooooooooo, based on your argument there is 0 need for any engine performance modifications because in the "best" conditions every car can smoke the tires.

I get it, 30 years ago I would have agreed 110% with you. When ABS became main stream I figured brakes had reached the pinical of performance.

I feel you are making the argument from an ignorance stand point and have no actual experience. Just my 0.02 as I could be wrong. I just feel you are an engineer/scientist who looks at "data" but doesn't actually have all the "data".
You’re half right, I do have a considerable back ground in bike racing. Yes, I have changed pads, lines, rotors etc…. You can have to sensitive of brakes.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread is for the 10 percenters only. 10% that know how to drive and know what good brakes should feel like. I’m very familiar with Z06 owners who only wax their vehicles and have no desire to improve performance as long as it’s shiny…..meanwhile I’m attempting to scare the GT3’s back into the pits.

Hey a waxed car goes faster. Dimples on golf balls serve a purpose.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Great video, as such and as I said before. Great brakes will make you faster than horse power.

Entrance (ie braking) into a corner on the track or in the desert sets you up for a better exit which sets you up better for the next corner.

Going into a corner hot AF and out of control and that is how you exit, or you have to slow your ass down to regain control. Either way it is 3 to 4 corners before you become competitive again.

CVP33

Reaction score
Corvette forum guys are never wrong, as long as you’re wearing long socks and jorts.

View attachment 447783
Mostly right. Skechers are the shoe of choice it seems versus NB. I never go to cars shows and rarely cars/coffee…too boring. I wear Sparco K-runs or K-poles in 46 so they look a little like clown shoes. No care….because they work and have the Achilles cutout for shifting as the Z is a 7 speed. Also a carbon fiber helmet which knocked off ~3 pounds. Doesn’t sound like a lot but makes a difference in how your neck feels after 8 hours of track time.

Attachments

• IMG_6029.jpeg
    IMG_6029.jpeg
    878.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6028.jpeg
    IMG_6028.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6027.jpeg
    IMG_6027.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 5

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re half right, I do have a considerable back ground in bike racing. Yes, I have changed pads, lines, rotors etc…. You can have to sensitive of brakes.
I would agree, you can have brakes to sensitive. Only been in one vehicle before that I would say the brakes were to touchy.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Respect. You got skills.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mostly right. Skechers are the shoe of choice it seems versus NB. I never go to cars shows and rarely cars/coffee…too boring. I wear Sparco K-runs or K-poles in 46 so they look a little like clown shoes. No care….because they work and have the Achilles cutout for shifting as the Z is a 7 speed. Also a carbon fiber helmet which knocked off ~3 pounds. Doesn’t sound like a lot but makes a difference in how your neck feels after 8 hours of track time.
3 pound drop is huge