Multiple catalytic converter failures in multiple vehicles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As I replied before, I understand that condensation is normal, but I did say "water dripping constantly", which I believe is not normal. I'm seeing more than normal and I still stand by my comment that fuel quality has dropped.
Please explain where the extra water comes from. (Hint it isn't from the gasoline itself).

boat

Reaction score
engine code on cat came on after 5500 miles on a 2021, can't get ETA from dealer or Ford parts dept. Maybe 6 month wait time. Any thoughts on aftermarket dont want to wait.

OP
OP
Gary Gere

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an update on the catalytic converter saga:

At 9600 miles codes P0430/P0431:
- replaced both catalytic converters.
At 14000 miles code P0431:
- ultimately determined the catalytic converter performance "sensor", which should have been replaced when both cats were replaced, needed to be replaced.
- Replaced both those sensors and both O2 sensors.
At 16500 miles codes P0430/P0431:
- Ford refused to replace both cats again without further diagnosis.
- Scoped both cats and each cylinder - no problems detected.
- Ford sent out a field service engineer who ran "pinpoint tests" and determined extra "fuel related" codes (did not tell me what they are) were underlying the P0430/P0431 codes.

They don't know exactly what is going on. They now believe it has something to do with the fuel delivery system but not the fuel itself.

They need to do further tests to figure out what the real problem is.

They did give me a brand new Ford Edge to drive around while the truck is in for service.

FWIW.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Such a weird deal. I could see one vehicle, but not over and over with multiple vehicles with low miles. Does Blackstone do fuel tests instead of just oil? Would be interesting to send some of your commonly used fuel to a lab. Assuming that has not already been done by now.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Such a weird deal. I could see one vehicle, but not over and over with multiple vehicles with low miles. Does Blackstone do fuel tests instead of just oil? Would be interesting to send some of your commonly used fuel to a lab. Assuming that has not already been done by now.
Agreed. the only thing in common with all of them, apart from Ford, is the fuel.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My money is on the fuel, especially when I saw the 91+ non ethanol. It is probably the same supplier to all those stations. I would ask around and see if you can find the company and what they blend with.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe but to get oil in the exhaust the engines would be toast or close to it and since they are all low/lowish mileage, that can be somewhat excluded.
If your using an oil that lighter ends are vaporing off, then you could be burning them in the converter. A new and a used oil analysis should pick that up. It could be ppm of an additive that does not play well. What are you using? I am in the gasoline camp tho. You don’t happen to have a very short daily drive do you?