Gen2 Catalytic Converter Availability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fuel quality is a significant factor in the life of the catalytic converters. Sulfated cats are becoming common and cause P0420/P0430 to set. Ford has released some TSBs in specific models to try and de-sulfate the cats by performing a drive cycle to get them hot enough to burn off the contamination.

I always recommend using Top Tier fuel whenever possible.

SRQ_Raptor

Reaction score
My cats failed on my 2019 last December at 32k miles. I was 1100 miles away from home on a work trip. (Engine light kept coming back no matter how many times I reset it).

Took it to Ford once I got back and they confirmed it was the cats. But they had to order them... They were finally changed in the middle of March. I was just happy to get rid of the smell.
Were your cats replaced under warranty? I think mine are going (2019 @45k miles)

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a P0420 code starting at around 13k miles (now at 46k). When i initially took the truck to a dealer they told me the bad cat was due to my intake and intercooler :snoopfacepalm: I decided to go with SPD downpipes. After about 15k miles with the SPD downpipes I again got the P0420 code. I did several rounds of additive called Cataclean and it worked for a bit. I then decided to replace the downstream O2 sensor - I just did this 4 ish months ago and so far zero codes since.

What codes are you getting?

pavendort

Reaction score
I think one of my cats is bad, at just under 110k miles. I am getting a slight shudder at high load high RPM. Troubleshooting seems everything is fine. Previous owner was a 87 octane only guy with unknown driving habits. Aftermarket downpipes with cats might be a better solution than waiting months.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think one of my cats is bad, at just under 110k miles. I am getting a slight shudder at high load high RPM. Troubleshooting seems everything is fine. Previous owner was a 87 octane only guy with unknown driving habits. Aftermarket downpipes with cats might be a better solution than waiting months.
That is what I did and couldn't be happier. The SPD cats with the built in turbo adapters are the way to go IMO. $1400 and done.

pavendort

Reaction score

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am looking at these too. With the trombone and HX muffler. My concern is my next door neighbor is the king of *********, so I can't be too loud.

Nevermind, I don't care if I wake him up.
I don't recommend that setup, it will drone by people that have that setup. I have the Ford Performance Sport exhaust paired with the spd downpipes and it sounds amazing. Just FYI

EagleRaptor

Reaction score
I started throwing p0420 codes around 75k, I tried to get my dealer to cover new cats but they wouldn't budge. I also almost always use quality fuel and truck is otherwise stock. OEM ford cats were too expensive for me at the time, I thought about going aftermarket with SPD downpipes or similar, but just ended up doing the spark plug non fouler trick on the rear O2 sensors to get the code to go away. Code has been gone for 20k miles and there is no difference in performance/mpg. Worth a try for a few bucks. I will eventually put new cats on if needed, but I don't think they are actually that bad, its just some computer issue.