Gen2 Catalytic Converter Availability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bentonville

Reaction score
My check engine light has come on. I've now got the spark plugs/boots replaced and the fuel injectors cleaned, but the light continues to come on. I have had two shops (one Ford, one an independent shop named Christian Brothers) look at it, and both have ruled out everything else and say that we need a new catalytic converter (I think it is on the left side). Both shops have said that the part is back ordered. I authorized the repair with Christian Brothers, and they've been waiting for the part for months now.

Does anyone have insight on what's going on? Is it really that hard to find the catalytic converter part right now, or should I suspect that they're not looking at the right part suppliers? Any tips?

Last edited:

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cats live longer than that. Cristians should know. They dont fail unless you abuse them or run bad fuel or water through themFind a local tweaker if you need one.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cats live longer than that. Cristians should know. They dont fail unless you abuse them or run bad fuel or water through themFind a local tweaker if you need one.
That used to be true. The emissions are so tight and computers are so sensitive cats do not last as long as they should.

As to the OP, make sure the PCM is updated to the latest calibration level.

Next, yes some parts are still a mother epher to get.

On the F150 ecoboost, I normally weld in some high metal universal cat(s).

Last edited:

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That used to be true. The emissions are so tight and computers are so sensitive cats do not last as long as they should.

As to the OP, make sure the PCM is updated to the latest calibration level.

Next, yes some parts are still a mother ether to get.

On the F150 ecoboost, I normally weld in some high metal universal cat(s).
Did not know that. Thank you @Old-Raptor-guy

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did not know that. Thank you @Old-Raptor-guy
Sure thing.

So here we have annual emissions testing. On anything pre OBDII we run a tail pipe test and measure actual emissions.

On OBDII vehicles (which basically have an emissions machine built into the car) my emissions machine "talks" to the car and asks "how things be bro"

If the car is happy my emissions machine is happy. If the car is p-iss-ed well then "no registration for you"

So if check engine light is on and PCM flagged a Catalytic converter, 99% of the time the only way to make it happy is new Cat.

Now, OBDII vehicles built before about 2012 seem to have the same Catalytic converter life as pre-OBDII vehicles but after that shit seemed to go down hill.

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cats failed on my 2019 last December at 32k miles. I was 1100 miles away from home on a work trip. (Engine light kept coming back no matter how many times I reset it).

Took it to Ford once I got back and they confirmed it was the cats. But they had to order them... They were finally changed in the middle of March. I was just happy to get rid of the smell.