Gen2 Catalytic Converter Availability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I started throwing p0420 codes around 75k, I tried to get my dealer to cover new cats but they wouldn't budge. I also almost always use quality fuel and truck is otherwise stock. OEM ford cats were too expensive for me at the time, I thought about going aftermarket with SPD downpipes or similar, but just ended up doing the spark plug non fouler trick on the rear O2 sensors to get the code to go away. Code has been gone for 20k miles and there is no difference in performance/mpg. Worth a try for a few bucks. I will eventually put new cats on if needed, but I don't think they are actually that bad, its just some computer issue.
Worth it to spend the $60 or so and a new passenger side downstream O2 sensor... That could be the issue.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend that setup, it will drone by people that have that setup. I have the Ford Performance Sport exhaust paired with the spd downpipes and it sounds amazing. Just FYI
I have this same set up and love it! I get compliments on it all the time for how it sounds. I personally think it’s the best your going to get out trucks to sound it’s not a V8 but it is the best sound out of our motors!

SRQ_Raptor

Reaction score
Yes, and I was tuned when it happened. Flashed back to stock before I took it in though.
Did the same thing, but flashing back to stock removed the check engine light. Dealer said they need the light to be on to scan for the code.. so now I need to drive around untuned until the light comes back on (boring).