How good are 2017 & 18 Raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had my 18 for 6 months and 6500 miles, there isn't a thing I'd change. Drive train is solid so far.

The way I can run it off road on the same places I used to run my Titan is night and day.

The fit/finish is ok, I would hope for a little better but it's Detroit, not Stuttgart.

The only consistent 'complaint' is the exhaust note, it's not a V8...but what driver notices exhaust when you are running down an unimproved road or a beach at 50-60mph.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Save the ford GT, The fit and finish on the raptor is the best out of the ford performance offerings.

This is compared to 2015 GT350 (track), 2016 GT350 (tech),2016 GT350R, 2017 GT350R, focus RS.

I like the motor and transmission alot. there are a few quirks, but it is worth overlooking them for what you get.

If there was anything that I could change, it would be the following:

1. Better Paint quality.

2. Less quirks with Bluetooth/sync/android auto

3. a little bit tougher seating surfaces ( I tore one of the seat covers at 350 miles. Thankfully, a new cover is about 150 bucks. The lack of hog rings is a blessing. I was able to replace the seat cover by myself.)

4. the dreaded raptor tax. If anyone thought it was high for Gen1s, The gen2 raptor tax is about 30-40% over the gen1 raptor tax.

All in all, if you do it properly, modifying the suspension is easy. Adding 37s, was easy ( with the right altitude adjustment and wheel offset, it is a bare minimum of trimming.)

I had a 2011 F150 EB, I LOVED that truck. I don't mind the ecoboost exhaust note, but I also don't love it, especially when compared to some of the beastly gen1s that I've heard and the GT350s that I went through ( still have my '17 R ).

I love my truck. it does everything that I need it to do, except fit into small parking spaces. ;)

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The thing is, you have to buy the Raptor to know how great the truck is, because you get a free option to take the day long Raptor Assault course. You get to offload someone else’s Raptor and you get told up front : “Drive it like you stole it, not like you bought it” - at the pre course dinner. Sure, you spend some money getting there, and staying there, but Raptor Assault is --so worth it--.

Looking it zombie’s comments, I actually think Lucille’s paint is top notch, but I have seen some folks here post some so - so looking examples. Check thoroughly.

Zombie, do you have the seat cover part #’s?
I’ve had a couple instances of some of my gear digging into the seat covers.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
The thing is, you have to buy the Raptor to know how great the truck is, because you get a free option to take the day long Raptor Assault course. You get to offload someone else’s Raptor and you get told up front : “Drive it like you stole it, not like you bought it” - at the pre course dinner. Sure, you spend some money getting there, and staying there, but Raptor Assault is --so worth it--.

Looking it zombie’s comments, I actually think Lucille’s paint is top notch, but I have seen some folks here post some so - so looking examples. Check thoroughly.

Zombie, do you have the seat cover part #’s?
I’ve had a couple instances of some of my gear digging into the seat covers.

not sure what the ford service part number is, but it is made by Irvin automotive. the "cust part no" on the tag stitched into the seat cover is 2532219zhe-ac.

if that isnt cross-referencable, forh210003224 might be. that is the other number on the tag.

btw those numbers are off the driver's seat bottom cover. I couldn't find the receipt to grab the part number off of it. the parts manager looked it up and ordered it for me.

Blkz06

Reaction score
I can’t say much since mine is only 3 weeks old. 2018 SCREW.

But... the V-6, while it has grown on me simply doesn’t match how this truck looks. The sound is less than stellar IMO. That being said I find it very pleasant to drive around town in Normal mode, and Sport mode really makes the truck feel like a different animal.

Transmission has been real good for me, shifts are very smooth and solid.

Build quality is solid, and there are no rattling or weird noises anywhere. I’m avg 15.3 mpg around town.

The B&O stereo is a disappointment and Fords SYNC is a joke...why you can’t cycle thru all your favorite programmed Sirius stations with the steering controls is absolutely unacceptable on a truck that costs 70k.

I will say the truck gets all kinds of looks and questions and you don’t see many on the road so it is pretty cool to be in a small group of owners.

OP
OP
H

HSrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the additional replies and sounds like a lot of my concerns don't need to be concerns. Now all I have to do is see if I can get my 3 year extended warranty to last until the fall of this year on the F250 when maybe the 2019s will be available. Then will be time to move into a Raptor.

You guys have some nice trucks and some with some serious mods. Very Cool.

DANACO

Reaction score
I can’t say much since mine is only 3 weeks old. 2018 SCREW.

But... the V-6, while it has grown on me simply doesn’t match how this truck looks. The sound is less than stellar IMO. That being said I find it very pleasant to drive around town in Normal mode, and Sport mode really makes the truck feel like a different animal.

Transmission has been real good for me, shifts are very smooth and solid.

Build quality is solid, and there are no rattling or weird noises anywhere. I’m avg 15.3 mpg around town.

The B&O stereo is a disappointment and Fords SYNC is a joke...why you can’t cycle thru all your favorite programmed Sirius stations with the steering controls is absolutely unacceptable on a truck that costs 70k.

I will say the truck gets all kinds of looks and questions and you don’t see many on the road so it is pretty cool to be in a small group of owners.[/QUOTE

While you may not like the B&O system it’s much better than the previous Sony I had in my 13’ Lariat. Fool around with the settings , you may be able to like it better ! My 13’ Lariat Sony was about the same as the B&O, I believe it’s the speakers that are making the differences.

pete888

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love this thing. I find the performance to be very good and it's comfortable as hell driving around town. The only thing I had to get use to was how wide and big this truck is and parking at times in SoCal can be a pain.