Gen 1 power steering or ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stojanowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a Gen 1 a couple weeks ago and trying to do the maintenance that needs to be down. They said plugs and 100k service were done but not on Carfax or receipts.

While turning a hear a faint whine, maybe power steering but it's not that loud. Driving my wife's 2022 Explorer ST I hear a similar sound when turning, almost sounds electrical. It's hard to tell with her with vehicle because it makes all kinds of noises.

Could it be the start of power steering going out?

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Mine sounded that way until i partially changed the ps fluid, It stopped making the whine. After a few month it came back.

* i say partially cause i only added an extra cooler on and replaced what fluids i lost.

Other than that i have no other help for ya lol

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a Gen 1 a couple weeks ago and trying to do the maintenance that needs to be down. They said plugs and 100k service were done but not on Carfax or receipts.

While turning a hear a faint whine, maybe power steering but it's not that loud. Driving my wife's 2022 Explorer ST I hear a similar sound when turning, almost sounds electrical. It's hard to tell with her with vehicle because it makes all kinds of noises.

Could it be the start of power steering going out?
So your GEN 1 Raptor is hydraulic power steering with fluid. The 22 Explorer is electric power steering not sure of what the similarity would be in the noise my 2010 GEN one raptor makes a slight whining noise when turning the wheel sounds like power steering to me. Maybe try to record and post a clip so people can hear it and help you diagnose

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fluid level ok? Most likely the pump, may or may not be signaling it's imminent death, fairly common noise (and failure, especially when abused). Doesn't hurt to pull that little reservoir and clean it out, there's a metal mesh screen in there, I recommend draining it and refilling the reservoir (all of half a quart or so) with every oil change...

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Prior to my pump failing it made a moaning and groaning noise.
Then it would take a few seconds of the engine running before it felt like it made pressure.
When cold start, in to gear, and turn wheel to steer... would be like manual steering for a few seconds.
Was fine for a few months then pump out.