Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The window edition club is pretty exclusive and the dues are quite pricey.

Budget is #1

All said and done, I have just under 10K in a straight swap

Head gasket is my first thought. Is there chocolate puddin looking goo on the oil filler cap bottom?

150K on a 5.4 is starting to get tired, not bad but a little too much for forced induction for my comfort. Consider the trans is also tired too and that would need rebuilt while the motor is out.

Would a 6.2/6.6 swap need the computer and other management stuffs for the bigger motor?

6.2 are damñ near impossible to find. It took 6 months to find one and it was only by chance a poor Jen Juan got nailed in the rear and shop guy found it. The 6.6 shortblock alone is somewhere in the 10K range, if i remember. It would surely handily gut the trans.

I would rebuild or get a new 5.4 and keep the Procharger... they're fun and make a neat S/C whine. It's fun to see the reaction when I tell folks it's just a vacuum leak

Last edited:

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like if they build it they should have the best tune. It just seems to me a custom tune will always have problems

mtnghost

Reaction score
I went through all this with my 4x4 quad cab Dakota. The best answer is rebuild and do it better. Forged internals, maybe forced induction cams, cosmetic gaskets. Only high end parts for the build. It will be a little pricy, but you will have a brand new fully built engine vs a used or even new factory engine. Just my experience, and 2c. Disclaimer, my Dakota got hit and totaled while parked in front of my work, and I never saw the outcome of years of collecting and planning for the build. This is also a caution but serves true for any route you choose.