2019 F150 Raptor irregular steering, wandering, constant correction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MPS-Raptor

Reaction score
Hello. New to posting on the forum but have received a lot of good info from this page. I am stuck in a difficult spot with my current 2019 Raptor and need some help.

My Gen 2 2019 F150 Raptor has 48k miles and was bone stock when I purchased the vehicle. After a few days driving the truck I noticed that steering at highway speeds, greater than 60mph, was highly irregular. The truck would wonder left, wonder right, and required constant input from the driver to keep the truck between the lines. The truck required two hands to drive and full attention or you would pull across multiple lanes of traffic. When passing larger vehicles or 18 wheelers the truck pushes hard away and then struggles to recenter. I went to my Ford dealership where I purchased the certified pre own and they suggested an alignment. This did not resolve the issue and took the truck back to the dealership where they stated nothing was wrong with the truck. I then went to a local shop here in TX called TX Motorworx. They drove the truck and suggested that we rebuild the shocks as they were starting to wear out. After a month we completed this process along with another alignment. Although this did improve the offroad ride it did not resolve the wondering or tramlining. I enjoy the truck but due to my highway driving most often I am considering taking a major loss and going a different route. Hoping to get some input here that can help.

Items done:
Alignment 4 times
Ford technician "checked" all steering components and reported no issues
Rebuilt shocks all around

IMG_4771.jpg

OP
OP
MPS-Raptor

MPS-Raptor

Reaction score
@MurderedOutSVT I have rotated the tires and even purchased all new OEM tires to see if this would resolve the issue. It did not. Also have adjusted the tire PSI from 28 all the way to 45 with different front and rear as well. No change to the pull/drift/wander.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Did you buy this new?

Have you driven a truck before?

How are your roads?

You say it was bone stock when you got it, what have you done?

My truck has truck characteristics and on some roads this can occur.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the truck have "lane departure/keeping system"? if so try turning it off.

on F150 I would say steering rack, but just FYI on superduties this is caused by a siezed ball joint alot. 1999-2010 the most common. just saying. If you remove the tie rod end from from the steering knuckle the knuckle should then swing full sweep rather easy, new ball joints maybe 10lbs of force, ball joints with a few miles about 2lbs of force.

OP
OP
MPS-Raptor

MPS-Raptor

Reaction score
Did you buy this new?

Have you driven a truck before?

How are your roads?

You say it was bone stock when you got it, what have you done?

My truck has truck characteristics and on some roads this can occur.
I bought the truck with 40k miles. The truck was stock when I purchased. I have now purchased new OEM ko2 tires. Rebuilt the shocks with TX MotorWorx, multiple alignments and tire rotations.

This is my 15th truck. 2nd raptor. I have owned from 1998 F150 - 2019 F150 and 2003 F250 - 2016 F250. Ranging from bone stock to lifted with 38s. This truck is the worst driving dating all the way back to my 2003 F250 with 38s. The steering is erratic and unpredictable. Constant input is required. The truck will not track strait.

Roads range from TX to TN. Took the trip on a 12hr road trip a few weeks back. Every road you hit over 60mph the truck pulls, drifts, and wanders.

OP
OP
MPS-Raptor

MPS-Raptor

Reaction score
What’s the use and accident history on the truck? It sounds like the steering rack may have been damaged at some point, which can cause that symptom.
The truck is a one owner with no accident reports. One of the reasons I purchased this vehicle. I have inspected the paint in the front end and all bolts and seems nothing has been moved or replaced.