Don't get all butthurt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
OP: You've got a warranty from the factory, then see if you can get a deal on an extended warranty and get the truck you want. It'll all be fine.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
+1 8wood. Ruger and Vegas:

Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

Now, don’t get all butthurt, but seems like a lot of problems reported. Some of them <gasp> under warranty and pretty major - engines, transmissions, trans cases. Very few 2017 are represented there. hmm...

Lions, tigers, bears! Oh My!

If you want someone to rationalize the purchase for you, sure, go ahead and buy a 17 or 18. actually, no - you should wait for the mythical 2017.5 MY Rap, which, according to the known, reliable source of misery, misfortune and misinformation, Sasquatch77, will have new tail lights and a super awesome v8.

Even if you don’t hold out for the 2018, do you really think you have enough of a sample of information to make a sound statistical analysis based on FRF, the book of face posts and other internet fora? If you do, then your decision is made and really we’re just typing for the sake of typing.

I would look at the reliability history of the previous model year trucks more closely. If it was going to prove to be a statistically bad financial decision to run the ecoboost and fancy-shmancy 10 speed from a reliability standpoint, that would be a difficult conversation to have with shareholders wouldn’t it? I would think that in the proposal to seat a powertrain in the brand’s top of the line truck that as a matter of brand pride they have to make it right from a reputation and financial standpoint.

Bad things can and do happen to new vehicles, and you or I may actually draw the short straw in that regard, but that’s what the warranty is for. I know that doesn’t give you the vehicle while you’re getting repairs, but it will get made right.

Good luck !

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who worked on the Raptor program last summer before the launch. I heard all about most of the reported issues and the frequency (low overall) before they hit the forums. Only concern I had before placing my order was the transmission and even those were performing statistically well, but there were some failures during testing. Will the Raptor be a trouble free as my Nissan....maybe not...but I wanted one anyway.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a current Gen. 1 owner and had all Ford products since I've been driving with the exception of a 2003 Silverado SS (great truck, till it went to shit at 44K). Right now my plan is to place an order for a 2018 on 15 May, my intentions never were to purchase a 2017 as I had a terrible feeling there would be issues.

(Don't want to hear the Gen. 2 superiority complex, save it.)

I've been following this forum and I've got to say I'm a bit alarmed. At the time I began writing this there were 14 threads in the first 3 pages about issues with the trucks. This kills me as a Ford guy and Raptor fan. I look at it this way, while I don't have evidence to support it but this forum makes up a small percentage of Raptor owners in my opinion. I'm sure I could look up total members and total Raptor production but honestly I don't have the time for that. That being said the amount of concerns of owners is alarming. I completely understand that mass produced anything will have flaws or issues
(especially first model year) but in all honestly you Ladies and Gents don't you think that the frequency and severity of the issues being mentioned here alone is high considering the sample size? What about the majority that isn't on this forum?

A lot of the issues being reported are not trivial problems. Transmissions/transfer cases failing, oil leaks, loss of oil pressure, turbo issues, ect (We all know and read them). But also some are reporting QC issues (This particularly disappoints me from Ford), I get it mass production things slip through but going back to the small sample size of this forum, seems high.

Then there is Ford customer service, based on what I am reading many folks are struggling a bit to get the trucks back up. (I've read some great information on dealing with Ford on service matters, Thank you Gents)

So my question to the knowledgeable folks... In your opinion, will the issues/concerns seen with the 17s decrease with the 18s. I know this is open questions but I've seen some great information come across here and I'm interested in hearing some thoughts.

Side note: I raced a 17 and he pushed my shit in real quick till he shut off at 100ish and I blew by him. Needless to say the 17s are wayyyyyyy faster, must have.

The problems will not go away on the 3.5 ecoboost. It has inherent design flaws that Ford refuses to correct. With that said, I would not touch one of these with that engine. The transmission is another story... The 10spd has no business in a Raptor. A regular street truck, sure. But, these 10spds don't seem to be fully baked either.

OP
OP
V

VegasG17

Reaction score
Thank you to most of you for the objective and well articulated responses.

Some of you suffer from NapoleonicRaptonic Disorder (It's real you can find it in the American Board of Psychology news letter). You're so defensive over your truck that it blinds you from rational conversation.

The forum won't let me write it out in crayon so I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

You have an amazing truck either way, it's okay to cherish your 6 or eight cylinders. It's okay to enjoy what you have. It's not ok to knock other peoples things, unless of course they're a **** and fire the first shot even then try to resist the urge. Take a step back for one ******* second and be grateful, there are many people that would eat shit to have either. Be ******* humble, enjoy it, you worked hard for it.

In short, I guess I'm concerned my Jenny might squirt and throw her parts on my Juan in the garage.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

The problems will not go away on the 3.5 ecoboost. It has inherent design flaws that Ford refuses to correct. With that said, I would not touch one of these with that engine. The transmission is another story... The 10spd has no business in a Raptor. A regular street truck, sure. But, these 10spds don't seem to be fully baked either.

Sir, I've been watching these threads and your posts for a while. Please don't hijack this thread with your ******** insanity. Do us all a favor go clean your room/mom's basement.

Thanks in advance.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
built DEC 6 > delivered DEC 12 > 5000 miles > AWESOME!

******** it Jake, do you have to pollute every thread with your fake CF photo? Geez man, he asked general questions about Gen 2s, not how to wrap it in fake CF.

You and sasquatch might be the same person... For him, its weep holes, for you its fake CF.

:biggrin:

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 17 was an Oct 14 build and it didn't get delivered until Jan 18. I have no doubt that it was taken apart many times to implement fixes. I've only had two issues and neither of them major. The steering was out of alignment (easy fix) and the wastegate actuator stuck and had to be replaced. These are not issues that are unique to a first year launch. I'd be confident buying a 17 again. I don't think you'll have any issues with an 18. Yes there are threads on here about issues (mostly because people don't start threads that say "Had my truck for 3 months, still no issues") but there are also a lot of guys bitching about shit that doesn't matter and isn't a real issue (plastic in center console isn't pretty, glove box is off by 3mm, my wheel has more wheel weights, and other stupid crap).

I say keep the Gen1 and make it into an all out offroad beast, get a 18 and make it your weekend warrior, live happily ever after.