Dealing with dealers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sublime1996525

sublime1996525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of the dealers in my immediate area (central Florida) had a problem moving Raptors quickly at MSRP when they came in from what I saw (tried to work out deals on some and they sold before I could). Some have had them for a few weeks, however. Seemed like the color of the truck was a factor on how fast it moved, terrain and black seemed like the easiest to find for me.

For those CA dealers selling at $10K over, why wouldn't a buyer just find an out of state dealer, fly there, and buy one and drive it back? I've bought cars out of state before and it wasn't a big deal. And if I could save $10K you could bet your ass I'd do it.

I'm buying out of state. Found a dealer in Arizona, thankfully that's only a state away. There is no way in hell I'd spend $10k over MSRP but I'm not a balla so I need to penny pinch in some areas lol. When I bought my Z06 it was also out of state. I flew all the way to Tennessee and drove it back.

Supercup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Southern California most all dealers are asking $5k to $20k over MSRP. Raptor was off my truck option list due to mark up's. Friday I saw ad from dealer with no mark up in ad. So I went over and first was told - "no test drives" - I said I am here to buy a truck, but not one I have not driven. So they got the Manager who said ok and I test drove it, liked it and was ready to buy it. Then I was told $10k over -never paid over MSRP, never will!

Got home, got on the Ford Website to look at inventory, looked for trucks I liked and started sending emails. Got 8 call backs, all at $10k or so over. Then 25 minutes in I got a call from a dealer 60 miles away - had what I wanted, offered to me truck at fair price "slightly under" MSRP, I told him I would take it. Gave deposit on the phone and thanked them. They will deliver to my house as soon as it is ready.

I don't begrudge the dealer asking over MSRP - they have huge capital in their business and if they can get it, good for them. I just choose to not pay over. And I have found with a little work you can get what you want pretty quickly over the phone, not to mention saving $10 grand.

Right now there is still pretty good inventory, but it will go pretty quick. If you want one and want on it what you want I would go get one in the next few weeks.

Hope you find the right truck for you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
sublime1996525

sublime1996525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you found a dealer that was willing to work with you and it sounds like you're going to get it sooner rather than later. I'm not looking forward to the long wait for the order at all.

spot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one dealer try that bs on me. He wanted 5k over msrp. I shopped around and found a dealer that just wanted to move cars. I ordered what I wanted and paid 500 over his invoice cost. Ford gives the dealers a big kick back on theses things. Don't fall for the typical we gotta make 10k bs. Run from that dealer. He'll screw you more down the road if he can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You obviously don't live in southern California. I went to a dozen dealerships and every one of them had them marked up by at least $10,000 - $15,000. Hell, one dealer in orange county was selling 2012s at a $5,000 mark up. Every dealer the raptors were on the lot no longer than a month. So people are foolish enough to spend that kind of money on these trucks and I can't blame the dealer for doing it if people will buy it. I tried the walk away routine on pretty much all of them and they did not come down. In the end I ordered mine at MSRP and felt pretty lucky to get that.

Same in NorCal! There are too many dummies that will pay it, so they do it. I had a guy about shit himself when I told him I paid $51,000 and he thought he got a deal at $73 talking them down 2 grand from the markup.

Supercup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer I bought from - Drew Ford - La Mesa CA has 2 trucks on the ground at MSRP.

One Black - One White - both supercrew.

They have photos posted at www.drewauto.com - then click on Ford and go to new inventory - they have a bunch of pictures of each truck. Great to deal with.

Ask for Luis Fernandez - Internet Sales Mgr. and I am sure he would take care of you.

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine MSRP at Star Ford. Just don't go to Galpin. They were the worse ones. Practically laughed at me when I said I wouldn't pay over sticker price.

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have gone to Gaudin here in Las Vegas, they tried to bang me for $7500 over MSRP and said I'd never find one for less. They're idiots. I went to Team Ford the same day and guess what, drove home a new Raptor for under sticker.

To be fair though, my good friend paid just a tad over invoice for his 6 months ago due to his relationship with his dealer. He called and asked for a personal favor to get me one from the same dealership and they wanted $2k over MSRP. This was in Arizona.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im wondering how all these people paying over MSRP finance the truck. I had to do this a while back for a stacker trailer (~50K) and had all sorts of problems.

--John