Dealing with dealers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just stoped by the 1st dealer here by me for ***** and giggles. He said they have sold 4 in the last week at the 10K over MSRP. I find that hard to believe, but whatever.

Still waiting on mine that i ordered in florida to go into production...

--John

dogknat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stealer I ordered through first made a huge deal about cutting me a break with all the lines "we usually sell these for 5-7k over". With all the haggeling I talked them into like 1500 below msrp (Keep in mind I had a bit of leverage). After the somewhat well known meltdown/sellout over my order I took my spec sheet to my new friends in the next town over. Sales manager literally calls me the next day from the new dealer and said "Look I wanna make you happy I want your business for the future too, But most of all I want to sell a Raptor so 4k under sticker sound good?"

I would take your sheet in but i'm an *******. Hell if I wasn't a 20 hour drive from my first dealer I would have gone and spun some ******'s in their parking lot. :flipthebird:

twinturbonium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The good thing about the gouging... is that I sold my 2013 for less the 1k below brand new sticker price, to a dealer who marks up. Haha. And bought a 2014 SE for 500 over invoice. Practically making money over here.

triggerfish

Reaction score
I'm calling ******** on anyone paying $10K over sticker for a Raptor right now.. that would be foolish! Hell, you could probably find an in-stock Roush at MSRP which would almost be the same price. Just look on ebay!

All I have to say is, you have to shop around! I must have inquired with about 13 dealers online, emailed 10, spoke on the phone to at least 7 different dealers, and probably stopped by 6-7 of them. None of them had a "market adjustment" on them, but some indicated they wanted to ask $2K over MSRP since it was getting towards the end of the production run.

I talked with a few dealers that said they would NEVER ask over MSRP and that they felt that it was not fair.. and I believe them. These would be the dealers I would buy from and continue to buy from in the future. The gouging dealers will never get a dime of my money, period.

In the end I did get below MSRP and was very happy with what I got... the patience and persistence paid off!!

Good luck with your search/order! And btw, I'm still not missing my Z06... one bit!

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm calling ******** on anyone paying $10K over sticker for a Raptor right now.. that would be foolish! Hell, you could probably find an in-stock Roush at MSRP which would almost be the same price. Just look on ebay!

All I have to say is, you have to shop around! I must have inquired with about 13 dealers online, emailed 10, spoke on the phone to at least 7 different dealers, and probably stopped by 6-7 of them. None of them had a "market adjustment" on them, but some indicated they wanted to ask $2K over MSRP since it was getting towards the end of the production run.

I talked with a few dealers that said they would NEVER ask over MSRP and that they felt that it was not fair.. and I believe them. These would be the dealers I would buy from and continue to buy from in the future. The gouging dealers will never get a dime of my money, period.

In the end I did get below MSRP and was very happy with what I got... the patience and persistence paid off!!

Good luck with your search/order! And btw, I'm still not missing my Z06... one bit!

You obviously don't live in southern California. I went to a dozen dealerships and every one of them had them marked up by at least $10,000 - $15,000. Hell, one dealer in orange county was selling 2012s at a $5,000 mark up. Every dealer the raptors were on the lot no longer than a month. So people are foolish enough to spend that kind of money on these trucks and I can't blame the dealer for doing it if people will buy it. I tried the walk away routine on pretty much all of them and they did not come down. In the end I ordered mine at MSRP and felt pretty lucky to get that.

ALDABRAMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These inflated/marked up prices must be selective! I know of several here in SW Florida, on both coasts that have several on the lot at sticker and they have been there for several months. The sales manager where i ordered mine told me that the market was getting soft on Raptors when i took delivery on mine!

I had an add for several weeks prior to trading mine in at a very low price and honestly had very little interest! I suspect these trucks are going to start to slide down in value. One fellow that did contact me indicated the bank would not loan him near the asking price based on market value.

triggerfish

Reaction score
These inflated/marked up prices must be selective! I know of several here in SW Florida, on both coasts that have several on the lot at sticker and they have been there for several months. The sales manager where i ordered mine told me that the market was getting soft on Raptors when i took delivery on mine!

I had an add for several weeks prior to trading mine in at a very low price and honestly had very little interest! I suspect these trucks are going to start to slide down in value. One fellow that did contact me indicated the bank would not loan him near the asking price based on market value.

None of the dealers in my immediate area had a problem moving Raptors quickly at MSRP when they came in from what I saw (tried to work out deals on some and they sold before I could). Some have had them for a few weeks, however. Seemed like the color of the truck was a factor on how fast it moved, terrain and black seemed like the easiest to find for me.

For those CA dealers selling at $10K over, why wouldn't a buyer just find an out of state dealer, fly there, and buy one and drive it back? I've bought cars out of state before and it wasn't a big deal. And if I could save $10K you could bet your ass I'd do it.

Last edited: