Daily Driver + Sports Car --> Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hagdio72

Reaction score
Who has transitioned from owning just a sports car or a two car set up (daily driver + sports car/fun weekend car) to a Raptor?

Presently, I daily drive a 2018 F150 Platinum and also have a 2020 Mustang GT Premium as a "fun" car that I drive on the weekends. I've owned the Mustang for 1.5 years now and feel like I've had my fun with it, so I'm entertaining the idea of selling it as it just sits in the garage 5 days a week. That being said, I'd describe myself as a car enthusiast that gets a lot of enjoyment out of owning fun/special vehicles, which was the impetus for buying the Mustang, and I feel that my Platinum on its own would not fill that void if I sold the Mustang.

As such, I've been thinking about trading in both cars for one car that is a "do-all, go anywhere” vehicle that also scratches that “sporty/special” itch simultaneously. Hence my interest in a Gen 3 Raptor. I’ve found the Raptor (in its price range) to be the most compelling and alluring to me in this regard.

So, for those of you that have made a similar transition in the past, do you have any regrets? Miss the speed and agility of a sports car? Do you feel the Raptor is sporty enough? I know sports cars aren't directly comparable to a truck, and that this ultimately comes down to my personal preferences and needs, but I'd enjoy hearing others stories and experiences on the matter.

sf2360

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried several times to go with a single vehicle, but I always seemed to go back to two. I had Jeep and Cayman GTS and then got rid of both for a Raptor 37. I missed the car and purchased a GT500, and then I decided to order Raptor R and sold my GT500. I missed having the car and wanted to really get back into a manual again. I will have my Porsche Cayman GTS next month. It's really a personal preference.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried several times to go with a single vehicle, but I always seemed to go back to two. I had Jeep and Cayman GTS and then got rid of both for a Raptor 37. I missed the car and purchased a GT500, and then I decided to order Raptor R and sold my GT500. I missed having the car and wanted to really get back into a manual again. I will have my Porsche Cayman GTS next month. It's really a personal preference.
I wish I could fit in modern Porsches. Such lovely cares.

OP
OP
H

Hagdio72

Reaction score
I could never live without my Raptor and Cobra... The Porsches and everything else can go and I wouldn't be heart broken. Raptor is fun dont get me wrong but... I need a car that scares the shit outta me for the weekend .

I appreciate both of your replies. I do sometimes worry that I'd end up regretting my choice and want the fun car back. Both of my current cars complement each other well, but like I said I can't shake the thought of the Raptor for some reason. I keep coming back to it!

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate both of your replies. I do sometimes worry that I'd end up regretting my choice and want the fun car back. Both of my current cars complement each other well, but like I said I can't shake the thought of the Raptor for some reason. I keep coming back to it!
wait 4ish months... Economy is going to tank... youll have a TON of used options to choose from.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you upgrade the platinum to a raptor and keep the GT? Is your GT a manual?

I have a Gen 3 and GT350. I’ve toyed with the thought of trading both for a Raptor R to simplify my life, but at the end of the day I can’t live without one manual transmission vehicle to have fun in. Gun to my head if I had to keep one it would be the Raptor every time. It’s just so comfortable and practical on a daily basis. The R has the straight line speed and sound, but it’s still an automatic and isn’t going to handle like a sports car. Any of these vehicles will put a smile on your face though, first world problems as they say.

OP
OP
H

Hagdio72

Reaction score
Can you upgrade the platinum to a raptor and keep the GT? Is your GT a manual?

I have a Gen 3 and GT350. I’ve toyed with the thought of trading both for a Raptor R to simplify my life, but at the end of the day I can’t live without one manual transmission vehicle to have fun in. Gun to my head if I had to keep one it would be the Raptor every time. It’s just so comfortable and practical on a daily basis. The R has the straight line speed and sound, but it’s still an automatic and isn’t going to handle like a sports car. Any of these vehicles will put a smile on your face though, first world problems as they say.
I couldn't swing both at this point in time, at least comfortably/responsibly.

Yes, it's a 6-speed manual. Only has 15k miles on it. I've also put $2,500 of suspension work into it and just put a nice set of larger wheels and tires on it a few months ago. Stock tune/power. It's fun and plenty of power for where I live. I don't track it or anything.

Also, I'm considering a 3.5 EcoBoost Gen 3 (apologies, I accidently posted this in the wrong general discussion forum. Didn't mean to put it in the dedicated "R" forum. I've already asked the mods to move the thread).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter