2018 Expedition Max Platinum to Gen 3 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckPeazy

Reaction score
Hey yall, wanted to introduce myself and get your opinion on trading my 2018 Expedition Platinum for a Gen 3 Raptor. A Raptor has always been my dream, but having 3 small kids, it seemed to make sense to get a bigger vehicle like the Expedition. We love that car and it’s one of the best road trip vehicles I’ve ever had. But the dream for the Raptor continues to poke at me.

My wife has a 21 4Runner that she loves and despite me complaining about its lack of power and decade old technology, she won’t get rid of it. It’s her dream car.

I also have a 2004 Silverado 2500 and figured it would just make sense to trade the expedition, sell the truck and then “combine” those into my dream of owning a 2022 Atlas Blue Raptor.

I’m already pretty committed to doing so but do you think we’ll miss all the space in the expedition?

Added photos cause everyone likes pictures.
IMG_1755.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg

OP
OP
ChuckPeazy

ChuckPeazy

Reaction score
Yeah the towing isn’t ideal I understand. I do have 2 trailers. One is a small dump trailer and the other would be our a Somerset E3 popup which doesn’t weigh a ton, but it has a front “toy hauler” deck that adds a significant amount of tongue weight when you load it up. I would still look at adding helper bags in the rear which I’ve seen a few posts about.

I think the kids will fit fine, oldest is 7 youngest is 3. One is almost out of the booster seat.

I would love to keep my peasant truck but also like the idea of paying cash for the new truck and that would help if I sold it. These old clean Silverado’s still hold some good value.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you can swing it keeping the peasant truck, that would be a good answer. That way you’ll be able to enjoy the truck a little more without it being your only ride.
I would still look at adding helper bags in the rear which I’ve seen a few posts about.
@Nex, check this out. A n00b user and they actually searched ! ! ! !
I say we let him stay.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Using the search function before asking repeating questions is a plus for sure.

Even with said helper bags, you will still be over tounge weight and possibly over the max capacity. As my old man taught me when the earth was still flat, just because you can doesn't mean you should. I would definitely keep the peasant truck for towing. Right tool for the right job.

scottybs

Reaction score
Sure, the back will fit three car seats, BUT there are only anchors for two. Not really enough room to grab diaper/kiddo supply bags with in the back across. I have two boys and that empty middle seat serves as a demilitarized zone. My bro in law had three (now 4) and went from an F150 to a Expedition. Nice having that space. If I was in a similar place I would upgrade to a Timberline Expedition (I wish they made a widebody one, I would ditch my Raptor in a heart beat). Good luck!