Performance SUV -> Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blake6551

Reaction score
Contemplating moving from my '23 X5M to a '24 Raptor. Have a 3rd kid on the way and looking for a little more room in my DD. Anyone come from a performance SUV to a Raptor and regret it? X5M is the best car I've ever had, but I feel like the Raptor would be fun in it's own way.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contemplating moving from my '23 X5M to a '24 Raptor. Have a 3rd kid on the way and looking for a little more room in my DD. Anyone come from a performance SUV to a Raptor and regret it? X5M is the best car I've ever had, but I feel like the Raptor would be fun in it's own way.
I think @V1ROTATE did the same swapover

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a 2011 X5M to my Gen 1. The size is no comparison despite what some are saying on here. The raptor is much more roomy. IMO the raptor is one of the best road trip vehicles for ride and space alone. That being said, our X7 is preferred by my wife so we tend to drive it long distance (massage seats are a nice touch).
I can’t speak to the gen 3 and it’s clearly much more refined than my gen 1, but the thing I miss most is the nice bmw “thud” when the doors close. Aside from that I think it’s a no brainer. Considering depreciation and maintenance costs alone, driving the raptor has significant long term value over the M.

Cheers

Wichadicha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Largest 2nd row in the Raptor (or any supercrew F150) of any vehicle I've been in. Way bigger than any SUV. Gen 3 ride is great,,,,, cannot speak to Gen 1 or 2

OP
OP
B

blake6551

Reaction score
I went from a 2011 X5M to my Gen 1. The size is no comparison despite what some are saying on here. The raptor is much more roomy. IMO the raptor is one of the best road trip vehicles for ride and space alone. That being said, our X7 is preferred by my wife so we tend to drive it long distance (massage seats are a nice touch).
I can’t speak to the gen 3 and it’s clearly much more refined than my gen 1, but the thing I miss most is the nice bmw “thud” when the doors close. Aside from that I think it’s a no brainer. Considering depreciation and maintenance costs alone, driving the raptor has significant long term value over the M.

Cheers
Awesome. We have an X7 inbound for the wife, so good to hear. I love the X5M, although not the buying $3k in tires annually, but the backseat is just way too small looking ahead. I'm sure I'll miss some build quality coming from the BMW, but such is life.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My wife currently drives a ‘20 X5M and I have a Gen 3. Interior space on the Raptor doesn’t even compare, it’s gigantic compared to the X5. Ride quality is absolutely better too, no question. For any sort of longer distance trip, or if we’re taking our dog with us (in addition to our 2 kids), we take the Raptor 100% of the time. The Raptor also opens the door to an entire world of off pavement adventures if you’re into that.

The X5M is brutally fast, I don’t even think the R would compare at all. And the handling is night and day if you want sporty handling. With that said, the X5M handling doesn’t come close to a proper sports car IMO.

With all that said, it’s really gonna be personal preference. But when my wife and I compare vehicles I don’t feel they’re really in different classes if that makes sense. They both have pros and cons.