GEN 1 Blown motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Motors covered!! Rebuilt longblock coming from ford. Headers aren’t gonna happen in time. But they said they’ll add on the trans pan and billet oil pump for free. 3 year unlimited mile warranty. Run stock oil for 500 or so to break in then switch back to Ams. Should be done next week.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Motors covered!! Rebuilt longblock coming from ford. Headers aren’t gonna happen in time. But they said they’ll add on the trans pan and billet oil pump for free. 3 year unlimited mile warranty. Run stock oil for 500 or so to break in then switch back to Ams. Should be done next week.

nice! thanks for the update.

i had not planned on doing the oil pump, but after seeing your thread and doing some research it looks like this issue isnt just on the 6.2 motors, they span over to the 5.0 as well.

i may do this over the next few years, or if my motor pops before i do it ill do it on the next one ha.

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the motor is scheduled to be in tomorrow lol, I have zero parts in yet! They did say the front end of the motor comes assembled, and to add the billet gears/pump would require 4ish hours to take the timing cover off and also new seals. Not sure about it now. They did say that they have to do a trans pan drop so adding the AFE larger cap is no charge, just supply the extra ATF. How is it that any other job takes weeks, but a motor swap will be done in less than 7 days??? The one time I need time to get parts. Going to see if they’ll let it sit on the lift til the parts come in.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now the motor is scheduled to be in tomorrow lol, I have zero parts in yet! They did say the front end of the motor comes assembled, and to add the billet gears/pump would require 4ish hours to take the timing cover off and also new seals. Not sure about it now. They did say that they have to do a trans pan drop so adding the AFE larger cap is no charge, just supply the extra ATF. How is it that any other job takes weeks, but a motor swap will be done in less than 7 days??? The one time I need time to get parts. Going to see if they’ll let it sit on the lift til the parts come in.

I would definitely see if they will let it sit. Would be worth paying extra for shipping to get headers and the oil pump gears installed for free.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Warranty work is strict, and if the dealer wants to make money the Techs can't fool around.
And they won't tie up a lift! That's for sure. They will only start when you say go.

Last edited:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
since this has come up again.. has anyone replaced the gears in their pump? or gears and pump all together?

I have looked up to do it and it seems like a huge pain in the ass.

I asked the dealer down the street and they said it would be $998 for the labor. I am still am within my 60k mile warranty but having them swap the pump with the livernois pump with the billet gears for $1500 (labor and pump) seems ok to me.

Reading on here it seems like it's a solid 10 hours of work. If it's not that huge a pain in the ass I can do it myself and save the $1k. FYSA if I have to pull the SC and everything else off the top then it's a solid no. I will let ford do it.

I got the TSS gears and my installer is just swapping the gears but keeping the OG pump housing. Said he didn't see the need to get a new one.
Labor for this isn't cheap, think my cost is $900.
I asked on FRF facebook page and got feedback about any failure some had after installing the gears was due to guys getting over their heads and installing the gears/setup incorrectly.
Wasn't going to attempt that install myself, and I enjoy working on my truck when I can.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it looks like this issue isnt just on the 6.2 motors, they span over to the 5.0 as well.

And 4.6, and 5.4 motors. And all the LS motors. And all engines with standard oil pumps that fail for that matter.

Oil pumps fail. Shit seizes and parts break. Nothing unique or odd about this. When its the oil pump that goes, the whole motor is destroyed.

The gears are not hard to replace with the engine out. Timing cover has to come off. The gears sit in a housing. Clearances need to be checked. Pack it with grease so it'll prime and put it all back together. TSS has the best price, but others sell the billet gears as well.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Throw a cam in it!

Gonna need more than one!