AC Issues with New Refrigerant???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the original post is old, but did the dealer really mix R1234YF with R134A? That just doesn't make any sense. The cost of R1234YF alone is much higher. And when we're talking ounces, it just would've been easier to evacuate and recharge completely.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This

^^^

Slap a gauge set on and post high side low side. Also put a thermometer in the vent .
I actually was going to do that, a picture of R134 gauges and R1234 gauges to compare.

R1234 is very new to me, and being a manager now I don't know the operating pressure difference.

It should be obvious that low pressures need to be about the same 38ish psi. The high side will show how efficient the refrigerant is at absorbing and then releasing the heat-energy.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually was going to do that, a picture of R134 gauges and R1234 gauges to compare.

R1234 is very new to me, and being a manager now I don't know the operating pressure difference.

It should be obvious that low pressures need to be about the same 38ish psi. The high side will show how efficient the refrigerant is at absorbing and then releasing the heat-energy.
So the raptor is R134a ? Or is it r1234?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine never struggles. Not super hot here but 90+ with 80-100% humidity sometimes.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the raptor is R134a ? Or is it r1234?
Depends on the year, Gen 3 should be R1234. Each manufacturer seems to have adopted it at different times. It does not seem like there was a cut and dry date for adoption like R134. Chrysler adopted early in 2015/2016, Ford fusion in 2018 is R1234 but my Raptor (2020 is R134) I have yet to see a Nissan that uses R1234 the newest in our shop would be a 2021. GM adopted around 2017, we do a shit ton of Gm condensers (trucks, large SUV) they crack at the receiver drier.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh, another thing that will help A/c performance.

vehicle has been sitting and is hot as hell inside. Get in, all in the same motion, start car, turn on a/c (not MAX yet) and roll windows down. leave windows down for about 120 seconds to purge hot air.

At this point turn on MAX A/C and make sure that "re circulation" air stays on. This will continue to cool air in the cabin by using cabin air vs cooling the cabin by continuing to pull in outside air.

rather that pulling in 110 degree air to try and cool down to 40, use the pre-cooled cabin air that is 80 to cool the air down to 40. Non-recirc air is like leaving your fridge open and expecting it to keep your food cold. using recirc will drastically lower your high side pressures which is less wear and tear on the compressor and hoses.

(No other refrigeration system in your life continually tries to cool air outside of its containment area, (your house doesn't pull outside air in to heat OR cool))

Last edited: