AC Issues with New Refrigerant???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I took my truck in for AC issues a couple weeks ago to the dealership. Sometimes it blew cold, conditioned air, sometimes it blew warm, humid, unconditioned air. The tech checked it out and found the refrigerant was low so they recharged it, and could no longer find an issue with the compressor, compressor clutch or anything else, but he put dye in the system to see if there was a leak. Well I got my truck back and noticed it still took about 5 minutes of driving before it blew cold, dry/conditioned air.
So, I went back to the dealership and asked to speak to the tech. He told me that was normal in all the newer trucks due to the new refrigerant they were using. Since mine was low, he had to refill with the new kind.......F'$#!@!!! He said it's an issue in all the newer trucks because of the new refrigerant being used, so I'll need to remote start my truck about 5-10 minutes before I go anywhere in the Summer to allow my truck to cool off. He said it typically takes about a minute for the blower motor to kick in on the newer trucks as well.

What kind of BS is that? For those with newer 21+ Ford trucks, is this true????

So the tree-hugging EPA mandates restrictions on freon to make it "Greener", which in turn, makes me need to burn more GASOLINE longer while idle, producing more emissions, that "affects" the environment, to cool my truck to a comfortable temp and make up for the "greener" refrigerant...........have we lost our minds?!?!? The "scholars" and scientists in some of these industries sure have! Common sense is hard to find these days!

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the new refrigerant is R-1234yf. From what i can look up, you cant mix the two together.
So if they did top it off with the new one, id bring it back, do you have a receipt/service order from the visit? Should say what stuff they used

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Yep, it all went to shat when the R12 went away. That stuff could make ice crystals in your vents. R134 was/is much less efficient and the spin-offs are getting worse.

However, the R1234yf requires higher pressure/differentials to barely equal R134, so if the tech mixed them you’re going to have less efficiency. You can fully replace the R1234yf with R134 and get better AC operation.

LEGENDARYNEWB

Reaction score
OK, so I took my truck in for AC issues a couple weeks ago to the dealership. Sometimes it blew cold, conditioned air, sometimes it blew warm, humid, unconditioned air. The tech checked it out and found the refrigerant was low so they recharged it, and could no longer find an issue with the compressor, compressor clutch or anything else, but he put dye in the system to see if there was a leak. Well I got my truck back and noticed it still took about 5 minutes of driving before it blew cold, dry/conditioned air.
So, I went back to the dealership and asked to speak to the tech. He told me that was normal in all the newer trucks due to the new refrigerant they were using. Since mine was low, he had to refill with the new kind.......F'$#!@!!! He said it's an issue in all the newer trucks because of the new refrigerant being used, so I'll need to remote start my truck about 5-10 minutes before I go anywhere in the Summer to allow my truck to cool off. He said it typically takes about a minute for the blower motor to kick in on the newer trucks as well.

What kind of BS is that? For those with newer 21+ Ford trucks, is this true????

So the tree-hugging EPA mandates restrictions on freon to make it "Greener", which in turn, makes me need to burn more GASOLINE longer while idle, producing more emissions, that "affects" the environment, to cool my truck to a comfortable temp and make up for the "greener" refrigerant...........have we lost our minds?!?!? The "scholars" and scientists in some of these industries sure have! Common sense is hard to find these days!
Was this issue resolved? I suspect I'm having similar issues.