AC Issues with New Refrigerant???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius with AC issues.

90° down to 55° seems normal to me.
A good A/C system should be blowing 38-42 degrees directly out of the vents. Anything more than 47ish degrees and the interior will struggle to cool down.

The sun load on the car will over welm the small amount cold air the A/C system puts out.

We have not noticed any performance issues between R134 and R1234

Sounds to me the tech doesn't understand how refrigeration works and is making the excuse of "that is how new stuff works". So he can walk away from it.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Same thing was responsible for the Space Shuttle Columbia (preventable) disaster. Govt. regs/tree hugging/stoopidity.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
~90ish outside and at idle it blows a miserable 55 degrees Fahrenheit out of the vents. Meanwhile my Tundra is blowing a solid high 20s. Does this seem correct?
The evaporator would be frozen over if it were blowing “high 20’s” out of any A/C unit. Obviously you are not getting accurate readings.

Feels kind of humid inside the truck and AC has an odd smell.
HAHAHA prius...
Tundra = prius.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Feels kind of humid inside the truck and AC has an odd smell.
HAHAHA prius...
For smells here is what I do, I also imagine the problem is worst with higher humidity. (Where I am 25% is high)

Make sure drain is clear.

Next, before you shut the truck off turn the A/C off but turn blower on high, this is to dry the evaporator and housing out so you don't get bacteria growth.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
For smells here is what I do, I also imagine the problem is worst with higher humidity. (Where I am 25% is high)

Make sure drain is clear.

Next, before you shut the truck off turn the A/C off but turn blower on high, this is to dry the evaporator and housing out so you don't get bacteria growth.
I wonder if turning the heater on once in a while would accomplish the same thing. If it could get above 149 degrees it should kill bacteria or mold, I would think. I get a bad whiff in my '22 at startup sometimes.