6.2 slight engine knock and rough idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t ever pulled one apart past the timing cover. Whatcha lookin to do with one though? 3v or 2v? I’m about to be pulling a 5.4 2v for a friend and rebuilding it for his f150. I’m assuming it’s the 5.4 3v from your 2006 FX4? I remember the wheels you posted on garage sale being FX4s.
Yeah, I'm looking into getting a new or rebuilt 3V. Also have a Eaton S/C for it like the Gen Too lightnings

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking into getting a new or rebuilt 3V. Also have a Eaton S/C for it like the Gen Too lightnings
Rebuild the current one. Jasper makes the vast majority of the reman engines and their quality is a little iffy from what I’ve seen. There’s a ton of aftermarket for the 3v because they share so much with the 3v 4.6 in the 04-10(??) mustangs. They make great power when supercharged, but the gen2 lightning supercharger is an Eaton M102 if I remember right. All the Eaton 6.2 raptors and the 5.4 4v GT500 ran the M112 which is a good deal bigger.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m wanting to just know what the change is between the heads on the Rap and F250? I know the cam profile is different but haven’t heard anything about the heads. I’m new to 6.2s, and I’ve only done 5.4s before this. I did research before buying my raptor as to whether the engine could be swapped with a f250 in the event mine failed. All I ever saw mentioned was cams and intake.
I think the heads are different. but wouldn't bet on it. Cam for sure. By the time you swap heads spent 3 on a block with 80k on it have your heads gone through. Just send it out for a rebuild. No window rebuild it.

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
I just looked it up and I was off by 10. M112 is the lightning blower and the m122 is the gt500. If you have the M122 then if I were you, find a 5.4 3V specific supercharger intake manifold, belt kit, and tune from 5 star. Slap that on a fresh 3v 5.4 and that truck would fly. Note the 3v has a different intake mount from the 2v and 4v 5.4s.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked it up and I was off by 10. M112 is the lightning blower and the m122 is the gt500. If you have the M122 then if I were you, find a 5.4 3V specific supercharger intake manifold, belt kit, and tune from 5 star. Slap that on a fresh 3v 5.4 and that truck would fly. Note the 3v has a different intake mount from the 2v and 4v 5.4s.
Thats what I was saying. I have the entire kit. New. Everything down to injectors, I just have to get a new 5.4 and a trans rebuild

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
How many miles are on the truck? If low enough mileage and you’ve still got crosshatching I’d say fresh pistons and rings, melling oil pump, VCT lockout, and cam rollers/followers for the rebuild. If it were me I’d also add Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams. They sound amazing and help a little with power. The 5.4 is a stout engine. The timing is it’s really only downfall. Mine had 185k when I sold it and we bought it brand new in 04. Never replaced anything besides maintenance and a pinion gear. Attached is a video of idle on a truck with a procharger and Detroit rockers. -correction, he hadn’t added the procharger in that video yet. Followed that build when he did it a few years back and almost did it to my 5.4 but couldn’t justify.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on the truck? If low enough mileage and you’ve still got crosshatching I’d say fresh pistons and rings, melling oil pump, VCT lockout, and cam rollers/followers for the rebuild. If it were me I’d also add Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams. They sound amazing and help a little with power. The 5.4 is a stout engine. The timing is it’s really only downfall. Mine had 185k when I sold it and we bought it brand new in 04. Never replaced anything besides maintenance and a pinion gear. Attached is a video of idle on a truck with a procharger and Detroit rockers. -correction, he hadn’t added the procharger in that video yet. Followed that build when he did it a few years back and almost did it to my 5.4 but couldn’t justify.

Sweet. I cant justify any of it. Either...the Rap is Procharged, D1SC. The Hearse is built to about 650 at the crank, and going to do some forced induction when I rebuild the '06