Service Engine Message - Rough Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMM_78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 23 with approx 500 miles on it. I started it up approaching the car after a quick errrand and you could hear it was idling rather rough. I peaked under the drivers front wheel and you could definitely see the vibration in engine. I got in and pushed the start button and the pre collision assist not available and service engine soon message appeared. I shut it down and restarted it and all was good. I'm goona keep an eye on it. But my question for those that have had ignition coil issues has it been intermittent or not?

Thanks

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 23 with approx 500 miles on it. I started it up approaching the car after a quick errrand and you could hear it was idling rather rough. I peaked under the drivers front wheel and you could definitely see the vibration in engine. I got in and pushed the start button and the pre collision assist not available and service engine soon message appeared. I shut it down and restarted it and all was good. I'm goona keep an eye on it. But my question for those that have had ignition coil issues has it been intermittent or not?

Thanks
My 2023 did this a month ago. Remote started it with the app and it was running very rough, shaking the whole truck. Definitely some misfire going on. Shut it down and restarted, from then on the truck never acted like nothing ever happened. No codes or any indication as to what happened.

DougDimmadome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had this happen once. Remote started it then got it in and pressed start and it was running like only one bank of cylinders was firing.

I restarted it and I haven’t seen it happen since

munch520

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks
Mine did the same but while I was driving. It also fixed itself during the drive (to the dealership which I was luckily close to). It was a misfire, so they swapped the ignition coil on the cylinder in question to see if that was the culprit (likely) or something else. Hasn't done anything like that since.

Only issue I've ever had pop up with the truck.

Wichadicha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened twice to me. Both during a remote start where I noticed it when getting in the truck. Shut off and regular start with zero issue. Glad others are having issue so something will eventually be figured out as to the cause.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... This seems to be much more prevalent than I was imagining.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Happened to me yesterday. Remote start, got in the truck, hit power, fast idle stopped and the tach bounced between 600-900 rpm. I gave it a little gas and it smoothed out. I didn't think to click over to the measurements screen to check oil pressure.

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to my 2023 day I bought it; drove about 30 mins parked to eat, remote started and noticed the rough idle. Shut off, seated all fuses properly, restarted and drove home. Has never happened since (fingers crossed).

Had a 2022 for 6 months, never happened...

Nix90

Reaction score
Happened to mine the day I got home from taking delivery (dealer was 200 miles away). Getting ready to take the family out to dinner and my daughter remote started it, went out and noticed the rough idle and the truck shaking. Hit the start button and got the same service engine soon and the pre-collision alert. Turned it off and restarted with no issue. That was about 1000 miles ago, no issue since.