2020 Transmission Issues ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a quick reset?

Some vehicles do a Tranny reset if you get up to 50mph, throw car in neutral and hold both paddles for three seconds...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have a 2020 with 11000 miles. the 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 are very hard and all the rest buttery smooth. worst shifting transmission i have ever drove. makes no sense.

The transmission skip shift strategy during normal acceleration 1-3-5. Are you using Sport Mode?

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
So far with my new transmission I no longer have any hard shifting when going from park to drive or when shifting from 4th to 5th gear which could be a very hard shift depending on how hard I was driving.

Now it's butter smooth in all manners of shifting. When it's cold I do feel a slight pause when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear in auto but once the transmission is warm that disappears.

I have noticed that the truck really moves noticeably quicker or stronger in the lower end when getting on it but seems to have lost a slight bit of pickup on the top end when hammering it around 80 mph or so.

I love whatever they did, new transmission and latest software updates. I'd have to go back and look but I think they did software updates to my transmission and engine, pcm & tcm is what I remember seeing on the paperwork.

I'm not imagining this at all, this truck actually moves on the low end with a lot more authority than it previously did prior to my new transmission and I couldn't be happier.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're my man, hundred grand FordTech, but he's probably not exaggerating. Last week I was backing out of a parking lot, shifted to drive and BOOM!!! I swear to God I thought some ******* ran into the back of me. I was like WTF!! I have been having some harsh shifting that is progressively getting worse. As I'm just cruising sometimes it will shift like someone is giving me a love tap in the rear. Happened a few days ago and the screen lite up like 4th of July and went into limp mode. I was getting codes for everything. I haven't been driving in sport mode because of the harsh shifting in normal. My drop off service date is finally here 3/17 been waiting since early March. Truck is a 2017 everything stock no tune. Is there anything you recommend I tell them besides the obvious? But yes the Rearend collision shift is a real thing, I was getting ready to fight somebody, it was brutal. I had to get out to look under it to see if the rear diff cover was still intact.

You are slipping @Oldfart... How did you let this one get by you?

Crunchtime2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fordtechone is spot on , maybe the dealer can replace the entire trans this time around , I have never been a fan of dealer techs opening up the guts of automatics. Crossing my fingers they coded the new valve body to the TCM correctly. There is a qr code along with a number/character string Printed on the valve body that has to be entered in with IDS or similar.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 19 has a sloppy 3-4 shift when cold under light acceleration, in normal mode. About once a week it does it bad enough that it feels like the truck is in neutral for a split second. I complained about it once. Dealer reset the adaptive learning tables, and that did nothing. It's not really a big deal, so I'm just gonna live with it a couple more years, see if it gets any worse, and as I close in on warranty expiration I'll press the issue harder.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 19 has a sloppy 3-4 shift when cold under light acceleration, in normal mode. About once a week it does it bad enough that it feels like the truck is in neutral for a split second. I complained about it once. Dealer reset the adaptive learning tables, and that did nothing. It's not really a big deal, so I'm just gonna live with it a couple more years, see if it gets any worse, and as I close in on warranty expiration I'll press the issue harder.

As I have said in the past, that is normal. It’s a result of the transmission cold start strategy. They all exhibit the same operation, including mine. It’s nothing to worry about.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As I have said in the past, that is normal. It’s a result of the transmission cold start strategy. They all exhibit the same operation, including mine. It’s nothing to worry about.

Ive noticed this
Plus ahhhh- the tranny is cold, give the thing a few shifts & few mins to lube/warm up will ya! Ya just woke it up, how quick you moving in the morning lol