2014 Downshift crash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TEXAS2RAPTORS

TEXAS2RAPTORS

Reaction score
Several people have reached out to me including a Ford transmission shop owner that says all the '14s 6r80 are coming back with this fault. People reading this can be saved. It is no joke when your rear wheels lock up going down a highway doing 60mph in the rain. I have my proof. This will kill several people and when power is turned off the faults disappear. I have video of it. Ford should have recalled not service bulletin.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Several people have reached out to me including a Ford transmission shop owner that says all the '14s 6r80 are coming back with this fault. People reading this can be saved. It is no joke when your rear wheels lock up going down a highway doing 60mph in the rain. I have my proof. This will kill several people and when power is turned off the faults disappear. I have video of it. Ford should have recalled not service bulletin.
“All of the 2014s are coming back with this fault”? :facepalm: So these are vehicles that were unaffected by the lead frame issue, and this guy has millions of F-150s, Expeditions, and Navigators lined up in his parking lot? Please stop with the dramatizations, you lose all credibility when you make exaggerated and outrageous claims.

There is no proof of anything thus far because you never had it diagnosed. The entire thread has been you assuming that your vehicle, which was built outside of the recall build dates, has a defect that does not pertain to it. Vehicles built after the cutoff have the new calibration that will not cause it to downshift unexpectedly even if the lead frame were to have an issue and lose the speed signal.

You stated that the transmission was rebuilt 20k miles ago by the dealership. That is where you need to start; it needs to be a torn down to determine what component failed and caused it to lock up.

OP
OP
TEXAS2RAPTORS

TEXAS2RAPTORS

Reaction score
No cruise engaged, from what i am told is a OSS failure, speed sensor built into lead frame communcates to transmission that the wheels are doing 0 mph and transmission downshifts accordingly, i have video of this fault and video of it after accident. Dealer told me "you do not have defective part as yours is a 2014, mine was built 11/13 in dearborn plant. ******** Ford you have blood on your hands when this kills innocent people.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we get it. its deadly and kills. you dont need to be repeating yourself every post. my truck has an 11/13 build date as well. i had transmission issues after an internal seperator broke in my radiator. blew the motor and i started having transmission issues. i was having the airbag light on and my truck would only shift between 3-5. going down the highway same dash lights as you. no speed, airbag, no tach and truck would downshift. not to first on my occasions, but i went to the place that did the work. cant blame ford if the vehicle has been worked on by another shop/dealership. especially since you have had trans work already. it turned out the connector on my trans was bad. broken wires causing intermittent problems. the wife has a 2013. we bought it used. i was crawling under the truck with @HORN HIGH ACES checking the truck over. nithing like laying on the ground at a land rover dealership. we checked every aspect of the truck and got service records. looked them over and found that her truck had already been in service for the lead frame. other than an erradic wheel speed sensor and shocks needing rebuilt, the truck was fine. then we made our purchase knowing that we are taking responsibility of the vehicle from that point. the lead frame has been know about for 9 years or more. due dilligence is needed when buying a used vehicle. need to know the vehicles history and service records. have the trans torn down and then let us know what the verdict is. if it is indeed is fords fault, then by all means go after them, but until proof is shown, you cant make assumptions of what you think it is

Last edited:

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 years since the vehicle model year was built and one instance of this happening... Not exactly a rash of accidents here

If you had a leg to stand on I would think, in the multiple months since the incident occured, you could have done something beyond bit**ing on an internet forum.

@FordTechOne is on to something with the idea that the transmission rebuild is where you need to focus your inquisition.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I mean... I get where the stealership who did the rebuild is the starting point, but is that what the lead frame fix is for? ( never owned Jen Juan, so not being snarky here [ stop laughing ] )

have the trans torn down and then let us know what the verdict is. if it is indeed is fords fault, then by all means go after them, but until proof is shown, you cant make assumptions of what you think it is

#Truth.

There is no proof of anything thus far because you never had it diagnosed. The entire thread has been you assuming that your vehicle, which was built outside of the recall build dates, has a defect that does not pertain to it. Vehicles built after the cutoff have the new calibration that will not cause it to downshift unexpectedly even if the lead frame were to have an issue and lose the speed signal.

well... true, but manufacturers don’t always get repairs right the first time. It is possible that despite the recalibration, other factors could cause the same issue. Not saying that’s what’s happened here, but it’s certainly possible. It’s just not within evidence.

Ford you have blood on your hands when this kills innocent people.

Got it. Keep us updated on the findings. All of the posts have some productive suggestions in them and you should pick the helpful elements out and use them going forward. get that transmission torn down and failure analysis performed. You’re correct, a 60mph rear wheel lockup is absolutely life threatening so let’s find out what the failure was.

OP
OP
TEXAS2RAPTORS

TEXAS2RAPTORS

Reaction score
I ordered truck new, only ford has worked on it, i had extended ford warranty until 120k miles, i disagree i need to tell anyone and everyone because this speed sensor failure causes accidents. Ford knows this i have contacted Ford, i have filed 2 complaints with NHTSA. I have all my service records. These trucks are out there driving around unserviced with a deadly defect.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No cruise engaged, from what i am told is a OSS failure, speed sensor built into lead frame communcates to transmission that the wheels are doing 0 mph and transmission downshifts accordingly, i have video of this fault and video of it after accident. Dealer told me "you do not have defective part as yours is a 2014, mine was built 11/13 in dearborn plant. ******** Ford you have blood on your hands when this kills innocent people.
“What you are told” by whom? Once again you have provided zero information on what actually occurred aside from your unfounded accusation that your truck has a defect/recall that only affected earlier builds. It seems you’re more interested in ranting on the internet than actually finding out what happened.
I ordered truck new, only ford has worked on it, i had extended ford warranty until 120k miles, i disagree i need to tell anyone and everyone because this speed sensor failure causes accidents. Ford knows this i have contacted Ford, i have filed 2 complaints with NHTSA. I have all my service records. These trucks are out there driving around unserviced with a deadly defect.
No it doesn’t. That’s why they implemented new software after the cutoff, so it wouldn’t downshift to 1st gear if a speed sensor input was lost. Those before the build date cutoff were recalled. You also seem to be confusing downshifting with locking up. If the transmission is physically locked up, that has absolutely nothing to do with a speed sensor/lead frame issue.