2020 - Engine shuts off - fueling issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like something is getting hot after a hour and shutting down . Wonder if it could be the crank position sensor ? I don't know man , i had similar deal on my 93 lightning back in the day . The pickup in the distributor would get hot if i idled too long and shut truck off . Took me a bit to figure that one out . I would disconnect battery and pull every major plug and connector to pcm and fuel system get a cleaning kit like this. Or with truck running wiggle every wire and connector you can find see if truck shuts off .

1694347093980.png

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DTC P05A1 can be ignored, that’s an Active Grille Shutter DTC. With DTC P025A and U0109 along with datalogging showing a loss of fuel pressure, you’ll want to start there.

Since you already replaced the FPDM, that leaves circuits, connectors, and pin fitment as the possible root causes. You can start by inspecting inline connector C1591 for dirt, corrosion, and loose/pushed out pins; it’s a black 34 pin connector located in the left rear side of the engine compartment. If there are no concerns there, then the next step is using a multimeter and extended length leads to measure the FPDM circuits front to back as well as verify power and ground to the FPDM.

OP
OP
Ahayslinger

Ahayslinger

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. i'll dive into C1591 tomorrow. I subscribed to fordtechservice.dealerconnection to pull some of the schematics but i'm positive that I'll have more questions. Thanks again for your help. I'll get back with yall shortly.

OP
OP
Ahayslinger

Ahayslinger

Reaction score
Sounds like something is getting hot after a hour and shutting down . Wonder if it could be the crank position sensor ? I don't know man , i had similar deal on my 93 lightning back in the day . The pickup in the distributor would get hot if i idled too long and shut truck off . Took me a bit to figure that one out . I would disconnect battery and pull every major plug and connector to pcm and fuel system get a cleaning kit like this. Or with truck running wiggle every wire and connector you can find see if truck shuts off .

View attachment 423236
Good thing for me to order now. TY

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i WOULD START HERE

SSM 51306

Some 2018-2023 F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Transit, Aviator and Explorer vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0627, P025A, P025B, P00C6, P008A and/or U0109 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to an intermittent or partial disconnect of the harness to the fuel pump control module (FPCM) connector, connector pin push-outs, damaged pins/terminals, or loose/corroded grounds. Inspect FPCM connector, applicable grounds (F-150 - G401, Expedition/Navigator - G403, Transit - G401, 2018-2019 Explorer – G302, 2020-2022 Explorer/Aviator - G407) and confirm FPCM connector (F-150 - C4336, Expedition/Navigator - C433, Transit - C433, 2018-2019 Explorer - C3239, 2020-2022 Explorer/Aviator - C4033) is fully seated prior to performing PC/ED diagnostics or replacing any components.

OP
OP
Ahayslinger

Ahayslinger

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info.
i WOULD START HERE

SSM 51306

Some 2018-2023 F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Transit, Aviator and Explorer vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0627, P025A, P025B, P00C6, P008A and/or U0109 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to an intermittent or partial disconnect of the harness to the fuel pump control module (FPCM) connector, connector pin push-outs, damaged pins/terminals, or loose/corroded grounds. Inspect FPCM connector, applicable grounds (F-150 - G401, Expedition/Navigator - G403, Transit - G401, 2018-2019 Explorer – G302, 2020-2022 Explorer/Aviator - G407) and confirm FPCM connector (F-150 - C4336, Expedition/Navigator - C433, Transit - C433, 2018-2019 Explorer - C3239, 2020-2022 Explorer/Aviator - C4033) is fully seated prior to performing PC/ED diagnostics or replacing any components.

Thank you for the additional info. Adding to my list. The truck has seen a lot of salt water/salt flats and despite my best efforts, corrosion exists. I'll check G401 ground to make sure that's still in good shape along with the connector. FPCM connector looks clean but I may need to drop the tank to check the wiring harness running to the fuel pump.

On another note, I've looked on the fordtechservice website for instructions on how C1591 connectors come apart - can't find any details on how to separate this connector which likely means it's simple. The gray latch on the bottom connector in the photo below was opened and after several attempts to disconnect the male to female connectors, I decided to stop and seek some guidance from you helpful guys. Any tips on how to separate this connector successfully?

Incidentally, I started the vehicle before disconnecting C1591. Once I turned off the vehicle, I unlatched the gray locking arm on the female pigtail. When I couldn't get the connectors to separate, I flipped the gray latch back down into its original position. The truck now starts and shuts off immediately. Think this plug could be part of the issue. I didn't damage it, to be clear. I'm just speculating but there could be some corrosion inside.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That plug should separate on its own when you swing gray locking bar all the way back . If you can't with out breaking it , than this is your more than likely your culprit . I wouldn't mess with it till you have new connector pigtails in hand . If you don't use them you could return them if you don't open the package . Good soldered wire splices and heat shrink with sealant , it would be good as new .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter