Stolen spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Defender looks like the best option out there. However, the only place you can get it is on eBay and it cost $150. I'm not that concerned that someone may be tempted to steal my 2011 spare. I would be more concerned about the $3k tailgate.

Rmeir

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tailgate lock did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ x2! I bought the mcgard one last year, it's just a worm drive clamp with plastic cover.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
i threw my spare in the bed with tiregates bed mount with lock cable setup... looks nicer with aftermarket bumpers plus its under a bakflip, bolted down with a lock and bolt... or just get AAA and throw that thing in the garage lol

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i threw my spare in the bed with tiregates bed mount with lock cable setup... looks nicer with aftermarket bumpers plus its under a bakflip, bolted down with a lock and bolt... or just get AAA and throw that thing in the garage lol

Not a bad idea: Less weight=More speed/Higher jumps.

Last edited:

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question-I have a key that has to be inserted near the license plate to get to the spare-guessing that is totally irrelevant but since I have a 14 that I just picked up wanted to make sure that my truck does not have some new tech that makes this issue now moot.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stupid question-I have a key that has to be inserted near the license plate to get to the spare-guessing that is totally irrelevant but since I have a 14 that I just picked up wanted to make sure that my truck does not have some new tech that makes this issue now moot.

On the back side of your key cylinder there is a C clip or retainer clip which could be popped off in just a couple of seconds. Then the thief would need to have the lowering tool to drop the spare.

Or

They could use a cordless reciprocating saw and cut the cable, getting the spare in under a minute.

See the links/videos above.