What are the best ways to clean a raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I just go to the carwash and wash it with the brush

I do the same thing. Trails have scratched up my truck more than any brush could do. I am at the point of just, **** it...don't care no more, thing ain't a street queen. Plus I can't remember the last time I washed it anyways.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The carwash brush isn't destroying your finish?

No, I don't think so. My car wash has a feather like brush it is not hard bristles. I have seen car washes that use bristles and that seems like it would destroy the paint. But my paint looks fine. I get the truck detailed every now and then and the guy only complains about water spots.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I don't think so. My car wash has a feather like brush it is not hard bristles. I have seen car washes that use bristles and that seems like it would destroy the paint. But my paint looks fine. I get the truck detailed every now and then and the guy only complains about water spots.

Right on. The brushes at the car washes around here are one part worn plastic bristle, one part gravel/chevy parts/paint chips. I see so many swirled up finishes because of those things.

Last edited:

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure washer and foam cannon. Wash it down by hand, dry off (CostCo has some decent microfiber drying towels) then I take detailing spray and get what is left over.

I usually wash every other weekend, and go full on detailing every other wash.

I personally use Chemical Guys car wash, but it is all pretty much the same.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I get scratches all over my truck and it get's dirty as hell. Get's washed at least once a week. In the spring and fall it gets paint correction. I figure if I paid this much for a nice truck, then it needs to be cleaned more often. I feel a clean vehicle is a reflection of the owner and how much attention he pays to his vehicle. You'd be surprised by hand washing it often, how many things you will find that need to be fixed. We found a broken wheel on one of our trucks while washing it. That could have been a bad deal if it would have broke running down the highway!

Car washes use the harshest chemicals as they are the cheapest and get the most stuff cleaned off in a hurry. Unfortunately that includes removing polishes, waxes and clear coats. All of that protects the paint and appearance of your truck.

OP
OP
H
Reaction score
Thought I was right haha, thanks. Now i wont make this mistake. I'm buying a used raptor so no idea what he/she did

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want your paint and exterior plastics to stay looking nice, then avoid the automatic car washes, and the brushes at the self-service bay. Both will scratch the paint, and as @2014RubyRed mentioned, the chemicals used are harsh and will bleach out your plastics over time. Some of the worst cars I have seen are the ones that go to the touchless washes weekly. In order to clean without using brushes, the chemicals are especially harsh and can turn black plastic to gray in a few years or less.

The best way is to wash is to use a pressure washer to get most of the dirt and mud off before touching the paint. A foam cannon also helps get lots of suds on the paint to provide lubrication when you do use a wash pa to clean the paint.

It you do not have a pressure washer, or do not want to or even cannot wash at home, head to the Pay-N-Spray and use their pressure washer, but only on the rinse setting to avoid the harsh chemicals. Then, bring your own warm water in buckets with lids and use your own pH-balance car wash shampoo with a synthetic wool or microfiber wash pad.

-Dan

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Same here if I'm in a hurry. I just make sure to spray down the brush first to get all the dirt and sand out after the previous a-hole used it to clean his jeep tires after his trip through the mud hole.

Some friendly advice:

I think you will find that since you just polished your paint to a very high level of shiny awesomeness, that you will quickly notice that any type of brush at a car wash will indeed cause scratches, no matter how clean the brush is.

-Dan

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some friendly advice:

I think you will find that since you just polished your paint to a very high level of shiny awesomeness, that you will quickly notice that any type of brush at a car wash will indeed cause scratches, no matter how clean the brush is.

-Dan

I haven't used the brush since I did the paint correction lol.. I'm a little smarter than that :)

Sometimes I go to the car wash early morning and bring my buckets, car shampoo, and wool pads and wash the truck in the bay using their pressure washer only. People look at me like I'm crazy but screw them.