Thoughts on new Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will respectfully disagree with Jeff on a few points. Not that he’s wrong, I just have a different impression.

In normal mode, or as I call it, eco-greenie mode, it’s not different from my previous Subaru. Literally. It jumps into higher gears quickly, sometimes more quickly than I would like. I’d say about 15-20% of the time, it’s riding in a higher gear than I would prefer, and rpms are loafing along at 1100 or so.

I think the gear skip feature is fine. If you stab the throttle, it doesn’t skip.

I’ve never had an automatic trans vehicle that shifted as well cold as it did warmed up to operating temp.

I’m not sure whether it’s the 4.10 gears or 1st gear in the trans or both but unless you really mean it, 1st gear seems to go by really quickly. OTOH, if I jump on it, the truck does move out sharply so maybe Ford knows a little more about this than I do.

of course keep in mind, any positive responses or feedback on the new Raptor is sasquatch bait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxqcJD82Z4

I don't think we are necessarily in disagreement. I actually fully support getting to higher gears as soon as possible since I generally have a pretty relaxed driving style. My only concern is that when it does it, I feel surging which I have not experienced in other cars/trucks that do the same thing. How and when my truck does it needs some slight tweaking.

The gear skipping is a matter of preference. I do notice the slower shifts and the higher RPMs that are needed to support skipping gears. I also notice 6th gear holding higher RPMs than 7th through 10th even though it arguably shouldn't need to since it isn't prepping to skip a gear. It isn't the worst thing in the world, but the ideal setup for me would be to start in 2nd and use all of the gears.

As for how it shifts when cold verses warm, I agree that no car/truck shifts as good when it is cold verses hot, but my 2017 Raptor is definitely much worse than average in this respect.

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my only (minor) complaint is coming to a stop. Just as my speed comes down through 4-6 mph, it has a bit of a harsh downshift. It's hard to come to a smooth stop.

I'm at about 800 miles, and I'm pretty happy with it. It seemed to do a good job of learning my habits.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my only (minor) complaint is coming to a stop. Just as my speed comes down through 4-6 mph, it has a bit of a harsh downshift. It's hard to come to a smooth stop.

I'm at about 800 miles, and I'm pretty happy with it. It seemed to do a good job of learning my habits.

I have also noticed what you are talking about and agree that it is a minor issue for me since I have bigger concerns.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans works great on mine. I drive in sport mode the majority of the time. Unless you're all over the place with the throttle, it's very consistent. Love the firm shifts and that it'll hold gears for a bit while coasting.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I agree....totally. I had some issues at first , but ever since I reset it, it's been exceptional...Love the tranny, love the engine, CANNOT BELIEVE it's a 6cyl...this thing GOES....only thing I wish is that I lived closer to the desert and could take some really long high speed off road runs....none of that in the northeast...so maybe time for a road trip....

And Oh yeah, I like the new tranny!!

Ill let you borrow my desert... hell I won't even charge you if I drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles S

Reaction score
It's fine in my eyes. I would suspect that managing 10 speeds in a performance vehicle is a trick. The ECU is trying to keep the engine in the power band while trying to anticipate what the driver is going to do in the next few moments. Sounds like a recipe for occasional erratic shifts to me.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think we are necessarily in disagreement. I actually fully support getting to higher gears as soon as possible since I generally have a pretty relaxed driving style. My only concern is that when it does it, I feel surging which I have not experienced in other cars/trucks that do the same thing. How and when my truck does it needs some slight tweaking.

Ford typically will have revisions to the transmission shift strategies at some point. Might get better with a bit of tweaking from Ford's end.

BTW, were you on Liberty Way around 7:15am yesterday? I saw a '17 Raptor in my rear view.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford typically will have revisions to the transmission shift strategies at some point. Might get better with a bit of tweaking from Ford's end.

BTW, were you on Liberty Way around 7:15am yesterday? I saw a '17 Raptor in my rear view.

That was definitely me; it's a small world. You must be the owner of a Gen 1 black Raptor. If you want to chat or check out the Gen 2, definitely let me know.

bdub85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's great in sport mode. If it's in normal mode, I feel like it's a bit sluggish which is probably by design to get better mpg's for epa testing.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's great in sport mode. If it's in normal mode, I feel like it's a bit sluggish which is probably by design to get better mpg's for epa testing.

A lot of other people agree with you and like Sport mode, but I feel like I am putting a lot of extra wear and tear on my truck having it hold much higher RPMs than needed for a majority of what I am doing etc.... I was particularly troubled one time when I decided to punch it a little and the truck stayed at 4000+ RPMs for what seemed like an eternity after I completely took my foot off the gas. I would definitely use Sport mode if I was going to consistently drive very energetically, but it seems a bit much for constant normal use.

That said, does anybody consistently use the "Tow" mode for daily driving? It seems like this might be a good middle ground between "Normal" and "Sport" since it uses all gears, slightly higher RPMs, etc......, but it isn't as extreme as "Sport".