Tailgate release from door keypad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChaseU

Reaction score
Yesterday I was using my door keypad to unlock the truck. I entered my 5 digit code once and unlocked the door, and for whatever reason I began entering my 5 digit code again, immediately after. Upon entering the third digit of the 5 digit code, my tailgate opened.

I’ve tested this numerous times with the doors both locked and unlocked and it works every time. I do have the upfitter switch tailgate release mod offered by @Ruby installed so this may be the reason. I tried pressing three random numbers after the correct door code and this did not work.

Can anyone else confirm this works on their truck as well, either with or without the Upfitter switch mod?

Last edited:

Ruby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was using my door keypad to unlock the truck. I entered my 5 digit code once and unlocked the door, and for whatever reason I began entering my 5 digit code again, immediately after. Upon entering the third digit of the 5 digit code, my tailgate opened.

I’ve tested this numerous times with the doors both locked and unlocked and it works every time. I do have the upfitter switch tailgate release mod offered by @Ruby installed so this may be the reason. I tried pressing three random numbers after the correct door code and this did not work.

Can anyone else confirm this works on their truck as well, either with or without the Upfitter switch mod?

This is a standard “Ford” thing. After you enter your passcode, then hit the 5/6 button, the tailgate/trunk opens. Every ford sedan, and SUV acts the same way. Since you have installed my tailgate kit, your truck will continue to behave like ford vehicles with a trunk release! Totally normal.

I hope this helps! This is just another benifit of the kit. Once again, you enter your code, and hit the 5/6 button, and the tailgate/trunk/liftgate will open

Last edited:

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds promising... My truck is in for tunes, suspension, 37s, bumper and lights, so I will not be able to test for another week.

Do you have any additional info on the upfitter switch mod to release the tailgate? I am interested in that one, as well.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

I hope this helps! This is just another benifit of the kit. Once again, you enter your code, and hit the 5/6 button, and the tailgate/trunk/liftgate will open

Just to clarify, this will NOT work without your kit?

Also, it sounds like the third digit of his code must be 5/6... :smile:

Ruby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds promising... My truck is in for tunes, suspension, 37s, bumper and lights, so I will not be able to test for another week.

Do you have any additional info on the upfitter switch mod to release the tailgate? I am interested in that one, as well.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

This WILL work without my kit. My kit does not interfere with anything as far as factory workings go.

And yes, his third digit must indeed be 5/6 haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

My kit only adds to the factory system by allowing you to flip an upfitters switch to “pop” the tailgate

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This WILL work without my kit. My kit does not interfere with anything as far as factory workings go.

And yes, his third digit must indeed be 5/6 haha

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

My kit only adds to the factory system by allowing you to flip an upfitters switch to “pop” the tailgate

Do you have the details on your kit? I.e. Website, etc.

OP
OP
ChaseU

ChaseU

Reaction score
Here is the thread at which you can find out all the details and purchase Ruby’s Upfitter kit. I highly recommend it.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f29/gen-2-upfitter-switch-tailgate-release-kit-59853/

Hahahaha, thanks for the clarification, I thought I was going crazy. Interesting function regardless.

Uhhhh, and nooooo, my third digit isn’t a 5/6 �� lol.

So a simultaneous push of the 7/8 and 9/0 will lock the doors, a 5/6 after entering the code will execute a trunk release...any other shortcut keys people are familiar with?

Last edited:

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/2+3/4 unlocks all doors once the code is entered. If you have keyless ignition, you can leave your fob in the truck if you lock the doors using 7/8+9/0.

Here is the thread at which you can find out all the details and purchase Ruby’s Upfitter kit. I highly recommend it.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f29/gen-2-upfitter-switch-tailgate-release-kit-59853/

Hahahaha, thanks for the clarification, I thought I was going crazy. Interesting function regardless.

Uhhhh, and nooooo, my third digit isn’t a 5/6 �� lol.

So a simultaneous push of the 7/8 and 9/0 will lock the doors, a 5/6 after entering the code will execute a trunk release...any other shortcut keys people are familiar with?