Tailgate step - won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WARP6

Reaction score
My 19 Raptor tailgate step will not come out for use. It's stuck. I have the Ford protect Premium care, paid $3190 (stupid, I know). Ford dealer saying it isn't covered but nowhere in the documentation can I find an applicable reason to deny it. Nor can the 1-800 folks explain it. They don't even have a clue as to what I'm talking about. One guy was literally taking stabs at different areas of the contract to explain the denial. One item he showed me was referring to odometer tampering, LOL.

I've searched here and can't locate any info on tailgate step issues.

1- Ford should cover this? it's only been used maybe 30 times.
2-Is there a common fix that someone here can share?

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t have / know the ESP fine print but I’d definitely be respond with fix it, and yes it is covered that’s kind of what the ESP is FOR !
I’m not aware of any part of the tailgate assembly that is a “wear item”, so you need a better explanation.

I can tell you why they’re doing it. IMO they are estimating the repair/time exceeds what they’ll get reimbursed for. That’s not your problem, it’s their problem. Make it their problem.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has been sticky at times. It required considerable force to open on occasion. It wasn't as sticky as yours, apparently, because I was able to open it by simply muscling it open. You don't need a dealer for this - it's a simple mechanical problem. I suggest two things: Put on a pair of work gloves and attempt to force it open with hand and arm strength. Failing that, applying hand force and the simultaneous and judicious use of hammer blows cushioned by a piece of would will certainly break it loose. If that makes you uncomfortable, remove the plastic liner of the tailgate and try to resolve the problem from the inside.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has been sticky at times. It required considerable force to open on occasion. It wasn't as sticky as yours, apparently, because I was able to open it by simply muscling it open. You don't need a dealer for this - it's a simple mechanical problem. I suggest two things: Put on a pair of work gloves and attempt to force it open with hand and arm strength. Failing that, applying hand force and the simultaneous and judicious use of hammer blows cushioned by a piece of would will certainly break it loose. If that makes you uncomfortable, remove the plastic liner of the tailgate and try to resolve the problem from the inside.
Caveman style, I like it.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a neanderthal.
You have relatives here.

Extend the tailgate step and note how the pivoting top of the step causes the hook to disengage from the hook-shaped latch fixed to the inside of the tailgate. If you have used your step appreciably you will probably see where the hook has worn away the paint on the latch. Lube where the hook and latch engage each other with mastodon or mammoth fat, or perhaps some silicone grease. If that doesn't help and since there is more that one way to skin a gazelle, you might use a fine file or emory board to take the sharp edge off the latch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter