Power Tailgate Error - Won't open "stow step"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
New 2023 and the tailgate won't open. Dash shows "Power Tailgate. Stow Step" but the step is stowed and locked.

Fob, rear switch nor interior switch opens it. Have an appointment for Wednesday but hoping the interwebs has an idea.

I've even changed it from "power" to "manual" and still nothing. It literally worked yesterday.

idea's or thoughts? Search rendered nothing.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne Is there an issue with the bed covers? It's not touching the gate but it not working does coincide with a drive though car wash. It stopped working that day.
There have been issues with the covers interfering with the lift gate operation, causing it to get stuck. Sometimes the interference between the gate and cover can be hard to see. But if you’ve confirmed it’s not touching, I’d get it in for service.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There have been issues with the covers interfering with the lift gate operation, causing it to get stuck. Sometimes the interference between the gate and cover can be hard to see. But if you’ve confirmed it’s not touching, I’d get it in for service.
I have an appointment tomorrow but I'll double check for interference.

Is there a way to unlock it or reset it in case that's it?