Tailgate open/close on doorpad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If i back into my driveway and the back of the truck is higher than the front my tailgate wont open. Between the angle and my bed cover it holds it. If im parked level or head in (rear of truck lower) it pops open fine. It just releases the tailgate latches and and the tailgate strut slowly lowers the tailgate. The power tailgate has its own module and motor to lift the tailgate back up. I dont have that so i dont know if thats why some peoples arent working? Thats why i made the statement that maybe it doesnt work if you have the Power tailgate option.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the way home from work, I had a thought that if I switched the tailgate from “power“ to “manual” (located in the vehicle icon) that it would work. Nope…nothing. In trying this, I think that keypad unlock, press 5/6 button sequence switches the tailgate from manual back to power mode vs opening it.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Wow, this thread should have been over with one reply post - You can "Lock and unlock" the tailgate from the keypad BUT you CANNOT "open and close" the tailgate with the keypad
That's not true though. Mine opens when I go through the sequence on the keypad. The PIN unlocks it..adding the 5/6 after the PIN actually opens it. I do not have a power tailgate.

Wichadicha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP's question was for open & close. You do not have that option which means you are not able to answer "his" question. All the different scenario replies would be great for another thread or question but I feel have only muddied the water for him??? just an opinion

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I unlocked my truck using the doorpad/keypad but I cant seem to release the tailgate using the 5/6 button. Is this not possible with the gen3?

OP's question was for open & close. You do not have that option which means you are not able to answer "his" question. All the different scenario replies would be great for another thread or question but I feel have only muddied the water for him??? just an opinion
Where in the original post does it say that he wants to open and close? He just says release. And then he says only release again in a follow up post.