Tailgate Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AHANunn

Reaction score
I am looking to remove my tailgate. I unplugged the harnesses, removed the set screw, and removed the passenger side but I can not get the tailgate to slide off on the drivers side? Has anyone done this and if so how?
Thank you

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I'm sure it has been explained on here. I'd make sure you absolutely have to take it off though. When you put it back on, I believe you'll have to have something reset at the dealer to allow your backup braking assist to function properly. Or, maybe that has been fixed in an update.

OP
OP
AHANunn

AHANunn

Reaction score
@HighwaySentinel. Thank you for this. The last portion when it says to slide the left hand portion to the right it does not due that. I even had a buddy try it on his Gen 3 and same thing. I was wondering if it has something to do with the power up and down feature.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
If it is not sliding to the right while at the 45 degree angle from the horizontal position, I don't know. Maybe you are at 44 degrees. Get your protractor. The only difference in the manual for the power gate is to put the tailgate in manual mode and remove the set screw.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be too late but keep the key fob far from the truck so it isn’t able to communicate with each other while you have the tailgate unplugged. Rear cameras or sensors will need to be recalibrated by dealer otherwise.