How good are 2017 & 18 Raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HSrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some feed back from owners on the 17 & 18 Raptors. I've been in love with the Raptor from day one but ended up buying a 2011 diesel it was a dream truck. When my warranty runs out I hope to replace it with a new Raptor and maybe even a 19 if I can keep from running out of warranty by then.

How is the new gen 2 eco boost?

How is the new 10 speed? If anything concerns me this does.

How is the quality? My Ford diesel got a new engine at 66K due to glow plug coming apart but Ford took care of it. I'm a diehard Ford guy so still looking/thinking of Raptor.

How is fuel mileage? not a huge concern I only average 14 in my 6.7L diesel so anything in that range or better is a plus

Would be a daily driver and hauling dirt bike on weekends.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1) In terms of performance the Gen2 is great. Every review I've read on any vehicle using the 3.5EB has received praise for it's performance. It's still a relatively new engine, but reliability should be just as good as well. The only real issue with the Gen1 EB was the potential of carbon build up on the intake valves, but Ford remedied that by adding port injection on the Gen2's

2) I think this transmission is still too new to draw any conclusions on long term reliability, but the 10 ratios do an excellent job of ensuring the engine stays in it's optimal power band.

3) As far as engine, I touched on that above. Overall quality is pretty good. Fit & Finish certainly not up to German, or even Japanese standards but leaps and bounds above a Gen1

4) I haven't calculated it myself, but the trip computer has me at 16.7mpg. Based on other MPG threads I've read this is on the higher side. A lot of posts I've read are between 14-15.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
1) In terms of performance the Gen2 is great. Every review I've read on any vehicle using the 3.5EB has received praise for it's performance. It's still a relatively new engine, but reliability should be just as good as well. The only real issue with the Gen1 EB was the potential of carbon build up on the intake valves, but Ford remedied that by adding port injection on the Gen2's

2) I think this transmission is still too new to draw any conclusions on long term reliability, but the 10 ratios do an excellent job of ensuring the engine stays in it's optimal power band.

3) As far as engine, I touched on that above. Overall quality is pretty good. Fit & Finish certainly not up to German, or even Japanese standards but leaps and bounds above a Gen1

4) I haven't calculated it myself, but the trip computer has me at 16.7mpg. Based on other MPG threads I've read this is on the higher side. A lot of posts I've read are between 14-15.

The 3.5TT / 10 speed is a very impressive combo. In normal driving mode - the default, the truck is a slow moving, reluctant to accelerate dog. In sport, it’s a night and day difference. I used a pedal commander to address the poor throttle response. It’s all programming, with even the most minor adjustment on the pedal commander the truck in normal mode is a hoot to drive. It has plenty of power everywhere.

I like the new transmission and think it does a fine job keeping the truck in the power band when needed and doing it efficiently. We have seen a couple issues here but relatively few. I think - a case, another part that required a whole trans replacement because they couldn’t get the part, some pans leaking but no real broken hard parts.

I’ll disagree w/ @jabroni619 here on quality, I think it’s fine. My neighbors have Earthf*cker VW’s, Lexus ( what is the plural of Lexus anyway? ), brand b and their fit and finish is not superior. It’s just not. Now, it’s not a wood trimmed Bentley or AMG Merc, it’s a truck, but then, Ducati rightly soured me on European modes of transport.

MPG depends on your use case. if I’m on open highway, few stops max of 65mph
about 19.5 - 21.5. best I got was 20.5 on the gauge and that was spot on for the fill up that was an average of about 55-60mph for the tank.

Up over 65, mpg drops. over 75, you’re getting about 14.

If you’re caning it, expect about 12 mpg.

There are a few Raps here hauling bikes and reports have been positive.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I disagree with the dog comment above. There is a small lag between flooring it and the truck taking off, but when it starts pulling, it is anything but a dog. In 2wd it definitely pushes the rubber to the limits of traction in the lower gears.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll disagree w/ @jabroni619 here on quality, I think it’s fine. My neighbors have Earthf*cker VW’s, Lexus ( what is the plural of Lexus anyway? ), brand b and their fit and finish is not superior. It’s just not. Now, it’s not a wood trimmed Bentley or AMG Merc, it’s a truck, but then, Ducati rightly soured me on European modes of transport.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's "fine" as well, not knocking it, just comparing it. Ironically, before the Raptor I had a Lexus GS and before than a Lexus IS. I'm not sure how much time you spent with your neighbors Lexus or what model/year it was but the difference is quite noticeable once you get to GS trim levels and above. Which is to be expected really, you are after all comparing a luxury brand to a truck.

In terms of driving modes, I actually prefer the trucks demeanor in normal mode for probably 80% of my driving. I don't need it to hold gears to 4-5k rpms going from stop light to stop light. I'm personally not a fan of devices like PC. I want the PCM to know what I'm doing with the throttle vs having a 3rd party intercept and alter those inputs. I know that's an unpopular opinion around here.

Last edited:

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think it's "fine" as well, not knocking it, just comparing it. Ironically, before the Raptor I had a Lexus GS and before than a Lexus IS. I'm not sure how much time you spent with your neighbors Lexus or what model/year it was but the difference is quite noticeable once you get to GS trim levels and above. Which is to be expected really, you are after all comparing a luxury brand to a truck.

In terms of driving modes, I actually prefer the trucks demeanor in normal mode for probably 80% of my driving. I don't need it to hold gears to 4-5k rpms going from stop light to stop light. I'm personally not a fan of devices like PC. I want the PCM to know what I'm doing with the throttle vs having a 3rd party intercept and alter those inputs. I know that's an unpopular opinion around here.

I agree. We have a 2015 Lexus GS and a 2017 Raptor with 802 package. The Raptor is very nice for a truck, but I think the Lexus interior is a step up, even if it’s not a big step. An 802 Raptor is as nice as the entry level Lexus vehicles though (ES, IS, RX). And then there are a few minor annoyances, such as the Raptor front door handles only unlock/lock the truck, verses all 4 doors on the Lexus. Only matters if your loading kids first. They both have their pros and cons, and it doesn’t matter much since they have different uses and capabilities.

Normal mode is essentially an eco mode. Sport mode would be perfect if the shifts were a little softer. I probably use normal 60% of the time.

Love the Raptor though. Great truck unless you need to tow heavy stuff.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hsrider, what are you doing with that diesel? Flooring it all the time,lol. I have heard many getting very nice mileage out of that engine. My raptor has been good. Lie o meter during warm weather 16-17. High 18.4. Winter 15.3. Others have better mileage than me, some worse. I did not buy it for mileage though. Its a game to see how good it can get. I would not trade it for anything else.

OP
OP
H

HSrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hsrider, what are you doing with that diesel? Flooring it all the time,lol. I have heard many getting very nice mileage out of that engine. My raptor has been good. Lie o meter during warm weather 16-17. High 18.4. Winter 15.3. Others have better mileage than me, some worse. I did not buy it for mileage though. Its a game to see how good it can get. I would not trade it for anything else.

Not flooring it all the time but also not babying it lol. It's a daily driver and a dream truck never tow so it's major overkill for what I do with a truck. Best mpg I ever got was 16 in the 6.7L. So I would be happy with that in a Raptor or better. Like you I'm not buying it for the mileage.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Thanks for all the responses so far and some good information for sure and just what I was looking for. I'm used to a small lag even with the diesel, so raptor shouldn't be to hard to get used to. Also good to hear the engine and tranny seem to be doing good. The new 10 speed was a concern, sounds like there is no need to worry about it though.

Looking forward to reading some more responses.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get one and run a PC or a tune, then remove the apparatus after running it for a while, the truck will most definitely feel doggish. I would never say any American brand car has the best Luxury interior, but for a truck, you'll never hear me complain. This is my second Raptor. Loved Loved Loved my gen 1. Jenny is a superior vehicle, just has quite a few more problem free miles to give me before I declare it King of the Hill. That being said, 17,200 awesome miles so far. I too had major worries about the 10 speed. It comes out of the box from the factory Very Good. Slap an MPT tune or Whipple on it and it becomes an amazing beast. The trolls around here will do their best to keep you worrying. Not saying there are zero problems with these trucks, thats a unicorn, just saying mine has been problem free. Hope you buy one and let er rip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter