Possible Trips This Summer for Those of Us in the Southwest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I asked my friend Blair (some of you have met him - great guy to go offroading with - maybe sometime we can get him to join us on a Raptor Run) for some suggestions for summertime (hot weather) offroad trips here in the South West. Here's what he sent me:

As for where to go on a non-desert trip...well, this time of year altitude is your friend. Anything below 5,000' is just going to be too hot. For me, this means summer is Sierra time. Over here, on the west side, there are plenty of trees. Generally tight rough trails through the woods. But, the eastern sierra is more open, mellower.

Ever been to the White Mts? White Mt Rd starts off the top of Westgard Pass (7'000'), from Hwy 168 east of Big Pine, and goes north along the spine of the mts to a locked gate at about 11,500'. (The road continues on to a USC or UCLA high-altitude research station, but no go because they keep the gate locked).

Link to Westgard Pass:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....300207,-118.153987&spn=5.600629,9.832764&z=7

First part of the road paved, second part graded dirt. Really neat environment up there--high alpine, looks like the Andes. Ancient Bristlecone trees, if you're into that. Nearby routes include Wyman Canyon, which heads east off the mountains down to (very remote) Deep Springs Valley, and Silver Canyon, VERY steep graded dirt road going back west down to Laws (a few miles north of Bishop).

Link to Laws, CA:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....400833,-118.345556&spn=5.592827,9.832764&z=7

There are a couple campgrounds up on the mountain top, including Grandview (Google search that). This time of year is about the only time to go check this area out--even now, probably still some snow drifts. So you will see some other folks. But not very many. Its generally a little-visited place. If you feel like just checking it out, I'd go up to Westgard, take White Mt road north to the locked gate, then return via Silver Canyon to Bishop. Or camp up top, then down to Bishop the next day.

For a more wheeling-style trip, go all the way over Westgard, past Deep Springs, up Wyman Canyon, across the White Mt Rd, and back down Silver. Full day for that one.

PS: If anyone is into mt biking, OLD (abandoned) Silver Canyon Rd, which parallels present Silver Canyon Rd, is the most epic downhill ride in North America (IMO). But gotta have someone to drive the truck down, ha! If that sounds fun for any of your pals, let me know and I'll provide specifics.

Other ideas:

Glass Mts Traverse: this is a route that runs along the top of a lesser-known mt range on the east side of Crowley Lake. From Benton Crossing Rd turn left onto Watterson Troughs Rd (signed) and head N up and over the mts. Ends at a point on Hwy 120 east of Lee Vining. There are a couple loose sandy climbs on the way up, but I think this is Raptor doable. All day trail.

Laurel Lakes: immediately south of the town of Mammoth. Climbs up into Bloody Canyon, eventually ending at two little lakes at the bottom of the big couloir on the north face of Bloody Mountain. There are a couple tight switchbacks near the headwall of the canyon, and a few minor rocky sections at the beginning, but I think you can make it. Road is good, if a little exposed here and there. (I've done it in my stock Grand). 4.5 miles up. And its an out and back, so come back the same way you went in. Some neat campsites (unimproved) on the Creek in the flat part (lower down) of the Canyon. Could be done in 1/2 day, but if you take your time, check out the creek below the lakes and/or linger over the lakes, you could easily burn a day doing this.

Minaret Vista: a short out and back trail just past the main lodge at Mammoth Mt. Short trail, half day. Great views. And not far from the spot where Steve Fossett bought the farm.

Bald Mt Summit: graded dirt road. Fast, easy. Trail starts off 395 at Deadman Summit, between Mammoth and June Lake. Bald Mt road is signed. (At top of Deadman, look for sign on east side of 395). Old FS fire lookout at top, great views of Mono Lake to the north. Probably half day for this one. Could be combined with another Mammoth area outing for a full day.

So, whatya think? The Bishop area looks to be pretty centrally located between NoCal, SoCal and Vegas...

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats up by Bishop! Thats a days drive one way! That aint gonna happen, maybe near Big Bear at Big Pine Flats / Cactus Flats if you want mountain trails but Bishop is too far :eek2:

B

Bojangles

I know the heat is a bitch for those who aren't accustomed to it, but if we're gonna meet somewhere in the Southwest, don't you guys wanna do it somewhere desert-y where we can run fast?

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats up by Bishop! Thats a days drive one way! That aint gonna happen, maybe near Big Bear at Big Pine Flats / Cactus Flats if you want mountain trails but Bishop is too far :eek2:

Where are you located, in Albuquerque, New Mexico? :mrgreen: (844 miles - about 14 hours)

According to Google, using Bishop, CA as the destination:

From SoCal (my area) it's 246 miles – about 4 hours 24 minutes

From Orange (Brian's area) it's 286 miles - about 5 hours 7 minutes

From San Jose, it's 293 miles - about 5 hours 35 minutes

From Las Vegas, NV, it's 269 miles - about 5 hours 8 minutes

From Phoenix, AZ, it's 570 miles - about 9 hours 30 minutes

It's about as centrally located a destination from SoCal, NoCal and Vegas as we could hope for.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been to the White mountains about 15 years ago. Also stayed up at/near that research station too. It was really cool.

Hiked up there and man it's tough due to the elevation.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know the heat is a bitch for those who aren't accustomed to it, but if we're gonna meet somewhere in the Southwest, don't you guys wanna do it somewhere desert-y where we can run fast?

My preference is the desert but we have half the year to do that. :) Now that it's summer, it's time to explore other areas up in the higher elevations.

By the way, it's not that the heat "is a bitch" which it is. It's well over 100 degrees in the deserts here:

Death Valley this week: LOW of 90! High of 125!

Anza-Borrego Desert: LOW of 79. High of 110!

You're in Texas so you must know of the risks associated with these temperatures and conditions. They're not to be trivialized. The heat magnifies everything turning a flat tire or getting stuck into a potential life-threatening situation if you're not prepared. We go out prepared but we (I) prefer not to go out and run hard in that kind of heat and those conditions.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live in Orange County. I think Bojangles is right, lets go to the desert and turn in the air con. It will be 115 degrees tops ok?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Let's do a night drive in the desert now that everyone is running 80,000,000,000+ candle power on theur rigs!!!

We could always do a run through the desert up the back side of the mtns to Big Bear then down to Arrrowhead. Nice mix of everything and I won' be sleeping in 90+ weather!!

I'm pretty busy during the summer trying to get everything in...lake, Utah, Mammoth...it's tough being me

Fyermanbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm headed for Utah this week for some Quad riding on the Piute trail but I'll be going to the bridgeport area in August. Lots of roads in the Bridgeport area of various difficulty from nice graded to 4-wheel drive in the area. Any where from about 6000 feeet up to about 12000 feet. I'l be "dirt" camping (no facilities) be happy to have company if anyones interested! Beautiful country! Also I am putting together a trip in November to prerun the Baja 1000 then help pit at, hopefully, one of the more remote pits on the way back! It would be about a two week trip anyone interested?