Auto Start Stop dead in the winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021 raptor with a 3 month old Ford replacement battery (dealer said the original failed their test). I drive my truck at least 30 minutes a day, daily. Many times more than that. Yesterday I drove at least 1-1.5 hours total (over a few trips) and ASS never engaged. Dash says “charging” and battery voltage indicator always displays 14.5-15.5v while driving. At the end of the drive in ignition but not running mode the dash displays 12.5v and I believe the draw is 0.3 in that mode so it should be even higher resting… Weather has been in the 20s recently. Is this a normal thing for the ASS not to work? I could care less about the ASS feature but i am confident that if it is not working as intended the battery itself is having some issues. The truck did just install an update that said it would be unavailable to drive for 12 minutes but would that drain so much battery? I tried searching but not much feedback on daily driven trucks in the winter and ASS not working.

The other day I drove over an hour and battery was at 12.69V after sitting in the garage for an hour but SOC was 62%

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
+1, completely normal. While back in VA, I was using the truck tunes while washing and waxing the truck on a rare warm winter day. Auto Stop/Start didn’t kick in for the next 2 full trips in the truck. Even if it gets to the point of it actually stopping, you’ll notice it won’t stay off for long.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1, completely normal. While back in VA, I was using the truck tunes while washing and waxing the truck on a rare warm winter day. Auto Stop/Start didn’t kick in for the next 2 full trips in the truck. Even if it gets to the point of it actually stopping, you’ll notice it won’t stay off for long.
I just figured driving 1hr a day for a few days and being garage kept would have been enough. I can’t remember my gen 2 acting this was but I don’t know if I had it this cold

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I definitely remember some really, really cold days back on the (l)east coast, and the truck would not go into auto stop at all. Nothing at all to be worried about.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Low to mid teens at the extreme, low 20’s several times. <- Fahrenheit....
I’ve had it engage in the 30’s air temp, but only for a very short while.

Not any more because I turned it off. My amp doesn’t like the startup.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low to mid teens at the extreme, low 20’s several times. <- Fahrenheit....
I’ve had it engage in the 30’s air temp, but only for a very short while.

Not any more because I turned it off. My amp doesn’t like the startup.
Ya if this is normal I’ll just disable it. I need consistency especially with this killing the engine at a light thing. As long as it’s not a faulty battery or some kind of issue going on then I’ll live with it.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Ya if this is normal I’ll just disable it. I need consistency especially with this killing the engine at a light thing. As long as it’s not a faulty battery or some kind of issue going on then I’ll live with it.
It is < knocks wood > I’m still rocking the stock battery from November ’16. Passed the battery test at service a few weeks back.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is < knocks wood > I’m still rocking the stock battery from November ’16. Passed the battery test at service a few weeks back.
I just drove home after the truck at for 24hrs outside in a winter storm warning and temps the coldest they’ve been so year (19). Auto start stop worked lol. So who knows how this system is supposed to work

Attachments

• GRMN-2024-01-13_08-01-58-DC_Mini_2_2-1.jpeg
    GRMN-2024-01-13_08-01-58-DC_Mini_2_2-1.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter